Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to get an egg(s) - very confused

Wager
Wager Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello everyone. I'm looking at getting one or more eggs but just can't make up my mind on which way to go. I've been pouring over the site for the last few days looking at all of the threads on comparing an XL to a large egg and I still can't make up my mind. I fequently have large cooks that would utilize the capacity of the XL but I've also read about the flexibility of having a large and small egg. I currently have an 18 inch WSM (going to my dad when i get the egg(s)) and really wish that i had more space on that for some of the larger cooks that i do. One thing that has me confused is that people say that you can get a large and small for the price of an xl but i can't find any price lists out on the web. What is the price for the XL, Large, and Small without the nests? i really like the thought of the flexibility of the large and small but since i do such large cooks i really want the capacity of the xl. help :huh:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I went from a WSM to a large Egg and with the extended grid or better yet the adjustable rig and spider combo from CGS, you will have all the capacity you had with the WSM. We have 2 large, a small, and a mini. -RP
  • Welcome to the forum, Wager. What kind of cooks tend to be your large ones? If they're low n' slows, you might be surprised at the capacity of a large. If your larger cooks are direct grills (burgers, steaks, etc) and it's important to you to have all the food be done more or less at one time, I can see why you'd be attracted to an XL.
  • Wager,

I have a small and a large. If I had to do it over, I would get two large. The adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store is increadible and offers unlimited cooking options. I think you loose a lot of what makes the eggs cook so well when you do a small cook on a XL egg... Large / Small combo works well, I just would like having the inceased flexibility of two large eggs. I am sure that you will be happy with any egg(s) you purchase.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I don't know if this helps, but check out the adjustable rig at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com

Read through the narratives there. You'll see many many photos of ways to extend your cooking space up instead of out. You may find the answers you need with regard to space by getting a better idea of what the Large is capable of. If with at stacking space you still don't think it'll be enough space then XL may be the way to go.
  • Here is my cook from last night:
    on my Large - 4 slabs of Ribs (cut in 1/2)& 1 whole sausage (Asia style from the new cook book)
    on Med #1 - Dutch over with BBQ beans (from the new cook book)
    on Med #2 - 3 chicken breast (wife doesn't like ribs) potatos, carrots and onions in foil.

I could have cooked all of this on a Lg & 1 Med, but would have been tough on 1 XLG. Having all 3 eggs makes it a much more enjoyable cook.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The exact price will vary somewhat from dealer to dealer. However, I can say that the total cost of a large and small from my local dealer is just about the same as the XL.

I own 2 mediums, and to my eyes, the XL looks just immense. Having cooked for 10 with just a single medium, I have trouble imagining using an XL for anything short of thirty or forty people.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    A link to the first Eggfest page.

http://www.bbqislandinc.com/store/bbq-island-eggfest-2010.html

Looking like a 200 hundred dollar difference at a fest between an XL and a Large and about 300 hundred dollars difference retail. I can't remember the last retail price on a small I've seen.

Lg small is a fantastic combo. If I'm grilling before I got a second large I would just grill in shifts. Cookouts are always about the social aspect as much as food. If your outside cooking someone will be out there talking to you so there ya go :>)
  • tell us what constitutes a large cook for you, and maybe someone will chime in with a comparable experience.

if you are grilling and need a lot of area, the XL might be what you need. but if you are jamming a bunch of pork butt in there, you might be able to get by with the large
  • Wager
    sorry guys, might help if I explain some of the cooks that I do. much of what i do is smoking butts, ribs, brisket, and chicken, many times all for the same event. my typical cooks could be for crowds of 2 - 30 and include the above plus large amounts of wings, shimp, moinks, abts, etc...

I'll take a look at the expandable accessories and see if this helps me make up my mind.

as confusing as this is it's a lot of fun to think about. can't wait to make up my mind and start cooking on one. :woohoo:
  • Where do you live. It may be that someone here is close and can give you some additional information, including dealer suggestions.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    I was in the same situation a few days ago, and i decided on the XL.

I plan to get a smal, or medium in the future to go along with it, but i would rather have too much room, then not enough, for the time being.
  • Wager
    crimsongator wrote:
    Where do you live. It may be that someone here is close and can give you some additional information, including dealer suggestions.

Live in Charlotte, NC and would definitely appreciate feedback on dealers.
  • There are some NC folks on here. Maybe they will chime in
  • CG,

I agree on that combo with a mini thrown in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stripsteak wrote:
    tell us what constitutes a large cook for you, and maybe someone will chime in with a comparable experience.

if you are grilling and need a lot of area, the XL might be what you need. but if you are jamming a bunch of pork butt in there, you might be able to get by with the large

This is the process I used for clearing my similar confusion and ordering an XL on Tuesday (yeah! can't wait). I intend to both grill and smoke. I didn't want to mess with 2 units. I ultimately decided that since I couldn't add extra space, and since I could always use less, the XL was the way to go.
  •  
    I don't have an XL, but do have a large, medium, small and mini.

Most of the time there are two of us here and when the whole gang is gathered, I can pretty easily cook for 26 people on the large alone if I plan the type of food I am serving. Cooking pulled pork for example, the large can handle that many people and many more.

Doing it all over I think I would want 2 larges and a mini.

GG
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    Here is perhaps a different perspective.. have you though about the weather?

I am in Las Vegas and usually just cook for 3, but have an XL and love it. I do large cooks and then freeze the extra. That way I don't have to stand outside when it is 115 in the summer or 35 in the winter (cold for me) lol.

I also have a small for just cooking a simple daily meal when needed, resulting in much lump savings. It is also beneficial to have 2 units so you can do low temp and high temp at the same time.

Just my $0.02
  • I have a large and a small, it is the perfect combo for me......I knew from the start the XL would be more than what I needed, and a small was perfect for those smaller cooks when the large was too big
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I have a small and large. On the large I have cooked 32 pounds of pork butt at once(4 - 8 pounders). I did two loads back to back cooking over 60 pounds in 32 hours.
    I also have done 6 sides of baby backs once.
    The small works great for quick after work meals also. It heats up fast.
    IMG_8393.jpg
    this is 4- 6 to 7 pounders
  • I have two large eggs and really love that set up.I can do low and slow on one and steaks or chicken on the other.If I need to do big cooks I have both that gives me ALOT of capacity.[img]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss93/kspringer01/Autumn09_1 26.jpg[/img]
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    I think two large is the way to go.

This combo offers great flexibility as well as potentially huge capacity. With a "rig" there is more than enough space, and you also can prepare lots on the other large - sides or ABT's etc.
  • Wager,

If there's a great story to tell about the Charlotte BBQ market I haven't found it. I finally decided to drive to Atlanta for the Eggtoberfest and bought my egg there. It was worth the trip for the experience alone.
  • Lambchops, I really like your table! I am getting ready to build a complete cooking station for my 2 med & lg. I copied your pic, hope you don't mind.
  • Gotta watch who you hang with though. Trouble can start early in Atl!
  • Wager
    thanks everyone for the feedback but the wife says large or XL only, can't get two so it looks like my mind is made up. if it turns out to be too big at least it is still an egg.
  • Yes you do, Gene. Next thing you know you'll be eating strawberry shortcake from an egg. Who knew???