Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips on smoking Brisket?

impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
going to try it for the first time. From what I have read should keep the temp around 200-225 and will probably use mesquite or pecan chips. Should I use my V-rack or go with indirect heat with the plate-setter? What should the internal meat temperature get too? About how long does it usually take per pound? thanks, any other tips from first time disaster experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Briskets are tricky..no 2 are alike....200 to 225° "dome" temp is to low and you will fight to kep the fire burning...go around 250 to 260° dome temp..figure 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound..I like using the twisting fork test to judge doneness...
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    There's a ton of good information here: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

I consider it Brisket 101.

Good luck!
  • From what I understand mesquite is not a good idea, too harsh. OK for short high temp sears but not for low and slow.

I've always done my briskets indirect, 225 at the grill, higher at the dome but that temperature drops as the cook progresses. I pull around 190 but I think some go higher. How long? Tough one because it varies even with same weight briskets. A 5.5 lb brisket took me 12 hours, an 8 lb one took 15.

Best advice - try to arrange a scenario where time doesn't matter much. i.e. not a first date, better with a wife who's used to you and doesn't mind eating at midnight. ;)

Good luck, it'll be worth it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Don't use the v-rack, go with platesetter, legs up with a drip pan, brisket on the grid, dome 225 to 250, close the lid and go do something else, your egg does not need your help beyond this point. :P

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • I've done a few briskets. Some low and slow but all my latest briskets have all been high heat. Honestly I can't tell the difference between them except that the high heat finishes without you sleeping on it. Definitely use the platesetter and a drip pan. I let the temps get to 350-375 dome and cook to 160-170 internal (in the flat). Then foil for an hour or so (depending on the size of the brisket). Then cook unfoiled until fork tender. Forget the internal temp at this point. It will be deceiving. You want it fork tender, no more no less. Sometimes that will be an internal of 190, sometimes 210. Approximately 30 minutes per pound or less.

Check out this extensive discussion thread on high heat cooks. Those that use it never look back. Myron Mixon, the winingest BBQ competitor also uses this method.
  • :) thanks for all the tips!
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    SpecialK-MD wrote:
    Honestly I can't tell the difference between them except that the high heat finishes without you sleeping on it.
    I'm glad to see someone else who feels this way. I discovered the high heat method for briskets and butts when I owned a Weber Smokey Mountain. This is the site that converted me http://www.kickassbbq.com/Quick_Cook_Boston_Butt.htm