Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 vs. 2 eggs in outdoor kitchen design?

sew quik
sew quik Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this as a reply to an old thread but thought I might start a new thread as it really is a design issue.

I am new to BGE and am going to put a large Egg in my new outdoor kitchen. We are in the planning stage now. If you were building a outdoor kitchen with no gas grill (but a gas sideburner for sauces, soups, etc.), would you put in 2 eggs? There will be a fair amount of entertaining (5-15 people) in this area, and it is adjacent to a pool and swim-up bar. If you would put two eggs in, would it be large + medium or large + small? It will be difficult to add another egg as a built-in later once the counters are built and finished, hence I want to raise the issue now.

I am thinking pizza or appetizers or something else at the same time as meat. Or will the multiple grill levels in the large be OK for this? I am NOT planning on smoking ribs, etc. for long periods of time which I know is a good reason to have 2 eggs. Any advice would be appreciated....

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    If I were you I would go with two larges.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning sew quik:

I may have a biased opinion since I have 4 Eggs, but I would plan for two...like you said, it is easier to leave room now, than to try to create room later. As to what sizes, my initial plan was for two large Eggs and that is what the ODK was built for. Since then a mini and a small have been added to the collection. The mini sits on the counter top just fine and I have a cart (not the EggNest) for the small. You can check out my ODK by clicking on the link to my website below. Feel free to contact me by email if you have questions.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• I too would go with two larges as then your accessories are interchangeable and you have two temperature control which on many cooks is extremely handy.

Doug
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    I went with two large when first expanding my egg collection.
    We make pizza almost a weekly event and it allowed me to make several pies in half the time :)

Accessories are interchangeable and during the holidays I can cook and turkey and a prime rib roast at the same time :woohoo:

Since then I have added a small, another large, and a mini but if I could only have two it would be a pair of large eggs.
    It is great to cook different things at different temps (main dish, apps, sides, etc.)

- Barry
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    yes, plan for two eggs. I have 2 larges, and use them frequently. Two eggs give you the flexibility for different types of cooks ( direct, indirect) as well as different temps at the same time. I do burgers on one, corn on the other, etc. During the holidays, I used one of the eggs for casserols while I had a turkey on the other. Most people end up with more than one egg, so it is smart to plan now.
    As for the size of the second, I went with two larges, because the eggsecories will interchange, has worked well for me.

Have Fun,
    Kendell
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    my ultimate setup would be two larges for the reasons mentioned, and then later add a movable small or mini to use where ever needed. i would set the burner near an excessible area for guests, i let them cook their own food sometimes :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Here is ours...I agree you can't add very easily later...planning it out is the toughest part.....a large and a small is IMO opinion the perfect combination..I also have a mini sitting in it's own space although not built in...the XL sits off to the side by itself..you can see detailed pictures of my build on my website below...If I can answer any questions feel free to e mial me...
    table1.jpg
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    I agree with Wess both on the sizes (I have a Large, Small, and Mini) and about the aspect of design. Mine are currently in/on a series of tables (Mini on top) and Small in a nest, in the location where they eventually will be built in. Darned if I can decide how I want to build it, though. Don't want to rush the design until it feels just right.

Mike
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Is that wind break material I see rolled up along the roof line? If so, how well does it work, I see some ropes and pullys. Have been trying to figure out something for my patio with a Pergola.
  • I had the same concerns and decided to plan for two eggs. I designed it so I could support two larges but decided to go with a small instead. However, I can remove the "extra" block used to add height to the small and put in another large if desired. I chose to use the side burner on my weber gasser instead of adding a dedicated burner. Good luck with your planning.

NewEggTable2.jpg
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Just curious - which do you end up using more? And are you left handed or right handed?
  • WessB
    They are just some cheap plastic blinds..intended more for blocking sunlight than wind....as you see..you can even see through them...we no longer have them up...FWIW...

DSC00027.JPG

Effective, but rarely used...
    DSC00023.JPG
  • I think the large and small is a great combo. But first 2 egss where larges. Good luck.

Mike
  • Right handed and I tend to use he large more (pizzas, butts, and dutch oven cooks) I use the small for steaks, burgers, chicken, and sides. I also have a mini that gets some of the work I used to give to the small.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  •  
    One large will work but I would forget the medium or small and put in two larges. Get a mini for quick smaller cooks.

GG
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    I am building an outdoor kitchen now (finally). I have a Large and a Small BGE, which I think is the perfect combination. I am also putting in a set of burners and a wok burner, as we love the wok cooking and I'd rather not use the charcoal for it. I use the Golf Club with a Mapp torch for starting my eggs, so I am building a fitting near the eggs for the golf club and eliminating the need for the little cans of propane. I'm putting in an RV-sized propane tank under the counter.

I'll post pictures when it is further along. It is just framed right now.
  • Sew quik
    Here is a pic of my cooking area off our screened porch that we added last spring. got the Small firing up as I type.

large and small - great combo !

DSC_0449.jpg
  • You can't have too many eggs.
    Three or four of different sizes would be ideal.
  • sew quik,

IMHO the best combination is large, large and mini. If you allow for a second large, you can fit a medium or small in. Keep some of your facing materials to fill in.
    Mini goes anywhere.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Thanks, I guess I will keep looking.
  • WessB
    They did block the wind somewhat...but that wasn't our intent in hangin em up...it's all wrapped in plastic for the winter right now...NO wind, and it's nice..
  • thanks for all the good ideas and detailed input. The consensus seems to be two large eggs for the most cooking versatility (and to swap grills, etc.), although there are some folks with a large/medium or large/small combo. For less grilling, a smaller egg makes sense...

A lot depends on how the counter cutout is made. The coolest looking ones appear to be when the egg hinge is flush with the countertop, but we are planning flagstone countertops (to match the adjacent pool surround) and I don't know how "tight" my contractor can cut the flagstone to the round edge of the egg. Another alternative is to have a well cut in the counter (big enough for a large?) and then it can be used for a medium or small with a block under it.....

I will redo my layout tonight and remeasure everything. As we are still in the planning phase, there is still flexibility. I will lose counter space if I add two eggs, and counter space is very important in a ODK, especially adjacent to the grill.

decisions, decisions.....
  • Be sure to allow for the thickness of a paver under your egg, as well as about an inch for the little green feet between the paver and the bottom of your egg.
  • WessB
    No matter how much counter space you are left with you will always wish you had more..and I do agree with 2 larges for all of the reasons mentioned..but a small egg cooks things totally different than a large.....you will never see me cooking a steak on my large, the small does it so much better..which was my basis for saying a large and a small are the perfect combination...2 very different cooking machines...good luck, and keep us updated...
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Nice looking course in the background. So when are we all invited to come play on it? :)
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    I have 2 larges and a mini and it is darn near perfect. My only problem is every now and then I have a bunch of people over, 75 this weekend. At that point I normally have a friend bring their large over and we are good to go. If I was designing an outdoor kitchen I'd go two larges and a mini. Be sure that your design allows the ash to be removed easily.
  • Scott...you and Becca should come on out to the Eggs in the Desert next weekend. Would be great to see you.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    I'll be there for sure. Amy (wife) is working on her Master's and has a paper due Monday, so she's outta action. Becca (daughter) has up to 2 soccer games Sat. and 2 more Sunday possible, so she's on the doubtful list.

I, on the other hand, am a sure thing for attending. I'll be in/out a few times, but look forward to meeting you, AZRP, Anne, and the others that I've chatted with here. My first Eggfest and it's gonna be fun.

See you there. - Scott