Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Eggs

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,[p]I have a Large, and am loving it... I know that several of you have multiple eggs, and some in different sizes. Can you share with us nuubs what kinds of things your doing with these? Are you just cooking more food, or is there some strategy for meal making going on? Or are you just really hungry?[p]Thanks... (cause I want another one Ok...)[p]Mark

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Mark,
    I use my large mostly but I got a small that I use when it's just my wife and I and I'm doing steaks or burgers. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark,
    It depends upon your requirements. If you are expecting a lot of pepole than I Would recommend either an EX Large or a Large. If you only are haveing a few such as you and wife I would recomend a small.
    If you would povide me with more info I could advise more.
    Bob

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Mark,
    Multiple cooks are very possible. I love wood fired chicken pizzas. Chicken on the small cooked direct then Pizzas on the large. While the pizza machine is churning ABTs or something else can replace the chicken on the small. Sometimes its just the extra space for burgers/dogs/pork chops/etc.

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Mark,[p]I started with a large and found it fantastic. It is forgiving and easy to use; lots of room but not a huge user of lump. I love it![p]I then bought a small and found the learning curve on using it a little longer. After a couple years I now think it is great. I use it for small cooks and for multiple cooks. My large is easier to get hot (500+) and easier to keep cool (250-) but the small does use less lump and is great. I recently (Eggs by the Bay) bought a XL. I have cooked a couple low and slow's that were great, but the learning curve is also greater than the large. I like to smoke tomatoes for salsa and can smoke nearly 20 pounds of roma tomatoes and eight 6-7 pound butts with ease. I haven't tried to push it hot yet, but with all the mass it might be tough to get it real hot fast.[p]If you might want to do smaller cooks then I would really recommend the small. Otherwise, I might get a second large as it is really versitile.[p]My two cents worth for a fraction of the cost![p]BillT
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Mark,[p]I first bought a large and loved the size it offered. I didn't like the fact that when I was doing long low & slow cooks I was Eggless again with the Egg tied up.[p]So I elected to add the second Large, it has been 6 months now and love what the both LBGE's offer. Pizza parties where we are cooking pizza after pizza on both Eggs are the best. It may use more lump than a small/medium, but it makes it up with versatility over and over. [p]There is my opinion.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Thanks to Eggs by the Bay and the demo eggs, I am in compleate agreement with Smitty.... I love having the 2 larges.[p]But I also have 6 kids, so we make a lot of food :)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Master Mason,[p]6 Kids...you're feeding an damn army!!![p]How's the new table coming along?[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• MasterMason
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Had a little hiatus as we went on vacation last week. I finished the tile cuting tonight. Tommorow it is some final tweeking of the top, and then set the tile..... Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will have an egg in it. I am going to replace the gasket on my original egg and put it in the table.[p]I think the next one will have a sink in it rather than a work top....
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Mark,
    I had a large for six years and decided to buy a small for the sole purpose of being able to transport it. I think if I had it to do over again I would get another large. The large just does an overall better job in my opinion. And I don't really see that it uses any more lump than the small when cooking small meals. [p]On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to use Chubby's GrateMates, a very handy item.[p]My vote is for the large unless you plan to transport your Egg on a frequent basis.[p]Spring "One Large Egg In A Bunch All By Itself" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mark,
    I have 4 Eggs, 2 small, 1 Medium and 1 Large. The 2 smalls get used mostly for charcoal testing, sad to say. Not as much food gets cooked in the smalls as it should. However, I often use the small to bake potatoes and cook other veggies while the meat is going on the large. The large sees most of the action. The medium was half-price, so I couldn't turn it down. I also use the medium in one of my charcoal tests, and sometimes when I just feel like using a smaller cooker than the large. I'm probably a poor example of owning multiple Eggs, lol.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    6 kids. Man have you lost your mind? You sound as bad as me. I raised 7. The oldest is 38 & the 2 babies are in high school. Soon, very soon.
    Cheers,
    bruce[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Mark,
    Large, Medium and a now a Small. The large does my catering pork cooks. The medium and small are my day to day cooks. Family of 4 ... 3 meat eaters and a veggie.[p]Doug

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    One of my main reasons to get the small Egg was the use of the Grate Mates as well. What a great combo. After seeing them in action at the Texas Eggfest, mine are on order...
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    What is Chubby's web site?[p]thanks[p]

• MasterMason
    Options
    badbruce,[p]Well 4 of them came with the new wife :)[p]range is 22 to 12
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mark,
    I have two large (one is mine and the other is the wife’s) and a mine BGE. The 2nd large was so when doing low & slow we could still make pizza or chicken or whatever. We won the mini @ the Fl fest last year. We are even looking @ a small so we can take it with us….[p]Luke “LazyDog” Salazar

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Ken Baker,
    Try the link below.[p]Spring "Missing Link" Chicken[p]

[ul][li]GrateMates International Ltd.[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    We just added our second egg...we now have two large eggs....don't know if that qualifies as multiple eggs...lol...Anyhoo..We use one to cook appetizers (ABTs, etc.) and the other for the MAIN course.....MEAT....So...two eggs are beneficial in that way.....[p]On a professional level....My lovely wife Karen has a catering business and use both of them to cook larger amounts of meat....Between the two...(and at the same time)we can cook at leat 8 Boston Butts....40 - 50lbs. of Prime Ribs.....12 - 15 slabs of ribs....and on and on.....[p]So from personal and professional standpoints....1 is good...2 is better....and 3?....Not there yet!![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Master Mason,
    2 of mine came that way 20 years ago. Wouldn't trade 'em for the world.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi Folks, [p]Thanks so much for the info. I figured I needed another Large because I've beeen getting a little bored waiting for the first one, so, because I like to play with fire, I figure I need another to "experiement" with... Makes sense doesn't it??? Ouch... Damn matches.. Anyway, thanks for your input.. I think I'll get another large and begin dueling eggs...[p]Regards
    Mark

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 45
    Options
    BillT,[p]Care to elaborate on the learning curve you had with the small egg. I got a large egg year and 1/2 ago and purchased a medium a couple months ago. I seem to have problems getting consistent hot temps on the medium and have never had any such issues with the large. Not sure if to much or little lump. Thought you might have some insight.

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Rick,[p]On the small I have found that it takes relatively more fire (a fuller firebox) to get hotter temperatures. I also find that my large tends to get to heat quicker than the small. The small doesn't like to reuse lump like the large. I have a crank-type air blower (forgot brand) that makes the small very responsive. I never felt like I needed to add air to the large, but the small has very positive affects from more air.[p]On the XL I am still learning (newer) but the importance of multiple lighting locations and letting the lump get going before any restraint of air seems more critical. I seem to be able to hold low temps easier on the XL and yet it seems responsive to air and gets hot fairly well.[p]The large is so easy. Dump lump in, light, wait 15 minutes and cook. Get higher temps with more air and lower with less. My large is almost oven like, easy to adjust and you get what you want. Both XL and small are a little more independent. (The large is like a dog, it wants to please. The small and XL are more cat like, they sometimes think independently!)[p]I wouldn't trade any and use all regularly. I light one of the eggs 5 days a week except during our winter (rainy season) when I use only 3 days per week. I will use egg to cook veggies while I use the stove or oven for the meat. [p]Hope this helps.[p]BillT
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks!

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 45
    Options
    BillT,[p]Thanks, I thought it was just me. You hit the nail on the head. The large green egg seems to be almost dumb-proof in getting up to and controling temps. My medium is requiring me to be much more careful in reusing lump and the amount and size for air-flow. Thanks again I appreciate your experience. Rick
  • sew quik
    Options
    I am new to BGE and am going to put a large Egg in my new outdoor kitchen. We are in the planning stage now. If you were building a outdoor kitchen with no gas grill (but a gas sideburner for sauces, soups, etc.), would you put in 2 eggs? There will be a fair amount of entertaining (5-15 people) in this area, and it is adjacent to a pool and swim-up bar. If you would put two eggs in, would it be large + medium or large + small? I am thinking pizza or appetizers or something else at the same time as meat. Or will the multiple grill levels in the large be OK for this? I am NOT planning on smoking ribs, etc. for long periods of time which I know is a good reason to have 2 eggs. Any advice would be appreciated....