Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any Eggers near Brunswick, Maine?

Options
CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow Eggheads,

I am about to accept a job offer in Brunswick, Maine. I'm hoping to get a little local knowledge beyond what my recruiter has told me.

I've verbally accepted the position to work as a Designer for General Dynamics at the Bath Iron Works and am looking forward to the adventure. Of course, I'm far too addicted to give up my culinary treats on the egg.

Obviously, I will need to get settled in to the workplace and will be treating this as a deployment, since the economy in Detroit is such that we are a bit upside down on our primary residence and I do not want to uproot my kids from their schools and friends.

As soon as I am able, though, I am hoping to find lodging that will be charcoal cooker friendly.

Any tips or information is greatly appreciated.

If you don't want to clog up the forum with this Off Topic Post, please feel free to email me at:

joevanloon (AT) att.net

Best Regards,

Joe

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL Hey Joe imagine my surprise to see my home town asked about! I was born in Brunswick. It is a wonderful old coastal town and I think you will enjoy it. A few years ago it was voted the number 1 place for retirees what with the collage and all. We live about 1 1/2 hours north of there now. Forget any dealers in the area :(
    as far as egging I am not sure what to tell you. Starting in Dec the scallops are fresh and you can get them and shrimp along side the road from fisherman. and the lobster of course :whistle:
    maybe we can get together some time this summer after we come home in May. Julie
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Julie glad to see you back posting.
    I did do a spatchcocked chicken direct on the mini like you and see no reason to crank up the larger eggs ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Julie. I'm definitely excited about the opportunity and can work out the details as I get settled in. Hoping to find an efficiency type apartment on the ground floor, eventually, but may just have to make do with keeping a mini in the back of the Jeep.

I'll keep you posted and would love to meet you after snowbird season is over.

Joe
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Congratulations on the new deployment Joe. It sounds fantastic, that has to be one of the better jobs in the whole state. When I lived up there you could pick crabs, pack sardines or build a boat now and then. I spent one year restoring abandoned cemeteries. If you like to fish you are in luck, they have great freshwater fishing. Maine is a wonderful state.

Good luck finding Eggheads up there, you may have to wait for Spring before they thaw out a little. The New England Eggfest should be great.

Best of luck with the new venture,

Gator

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    May?! Julie, why don't you wait until AFTER the blackflies are gone? :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    personally i would be looking for something between the two towns, with the economy i bet you could find something nicer and still be economical. alot of water in the area, i would probably start looking near the androscoggin. if you descide to buy something look for an easy to sell blue collar home, my sister is just outside of bangor and she could never sell the house and recoupe what she has in it. put the mini in your new boat ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Joe,

Just talked to a very good source and they highly recommend,

Finest Hearth & Home
    893 U.S. 1
    Yarmouth, ME 04096
    207 846 9030

for an Egg dealer in that area.

Gator

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks, Gator. I love to fish, when I can find the time.

If there happen to be any eggheads, I might be able to draw some out of their caves. I just looked up the average temperatures for my home town, West Bloomfield, MI and Brunswick, Maine.

TEMP_COMPARISON.jpg

The difference looks pretty negligible and I cook on my large almost every day.

I know where you're coming from, though, sir. I graduated from Cape Coral High School and spent a few years in Fort Myers/Cape Coral after being honorable discharged form the Marine Corps in 1992. It took a while for the blood to thicken up after coming back up to Michigan.

Cheers,

Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    do you have a rain chart, maine has a very long mud season some years and our black fly hatch is bigger than all your trout hatches put together.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks Fishless!

There's no guarantee on how long the job will last, but I'm taking the plunge because it's very lucrative. I do love boats, though. I think I would live aboard if it were economically feasible and I could find a 30'-35' Sailing Vessel or an even smaller Trawler outfitted with a decent furnace. I sleep like a baby on the water.

I'll certainly take your advice to heart.

Joe
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I did notice the rain chart plot fell quite a bit higher on the graph. Duly noted: Bring good boots!

I've got Cabela's waders if it gets real bad, too.

Thanks again,

Joe
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Gator Bait wrote:
    Hey Joe,

Just talked to a very good source and they highly recommend,

Finest Hearth & Home
    893 U.S. 1
    Yarmouth, ME 04096
    207 846 9030

for an Egg dealer in that area.

Gator

I've been to that dealer, 2 summers ago, looking for Wicked Good lump. At first, they didn't know what I was talking about. Then they said that only the Portland store sold charcoal and charcoal grills (didn't even know what an Egg was). They seemed to focus on patio furniture.

Maybe they've changed?
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well the one in Yarmouth must be way diff than the one in Bangor :( I know they are all owned by the same people but they have no interest in the Egg in Bangor. Part of why we looked so hard at being a dealer up that way. but we love our split year of maine/florida
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Mainegg wrote:
    Well the one in Yarmouth must be way diff than the one in Bangor

Not from what we saw in August 2008, and we've been to both...
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Gator Bait
    Options

WOW! Very interesting! I have family that live in the area and have several eggs between them that use this store. They say the staff is courteous and can order anything you need.

Beats me,

Gator