Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless Brats?!?!?

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So there's this locker in a small town about 50 miles from here. People rave about their skinless brats. Turns out we got some as a Christmas present, so I yanked them out of the freezer yesterday and gave them a whirl.

They had great flavor, but without the casing they were a little dryer...not dried out just not the same. Which means two things, it get all over the front of my shirt (I have a knack for that) and again...it just wasn't same. Almost like breakfast sausage.

IMG00451.jpg

IMG00452.jpg

IMG00453.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I think I would miss the snap when biting through the casing. I would have reshaped those into burgers. -RP
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Oh! Don't stain your new shirt! :(
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Touche! Wouldn't dream of it!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    We have a restaurant nearby that serves a traditional Serbian sausage called cevapi, which is delicious. Several months ago, I found a recipe for cevapi, and the bread it is traditionally served on, called lepinja, and made them both on the egg.
    .IMG_0466.jpg

They're basically a skinless tube-shaped sausage, like your "skinless brats", though I think I used beef and lamb meat. Flavored with garlic, onion, red pepper. They're really good, but the bread is good too. We generally serve brats just on hotdog buns, so the brat is obviously the star. Without the brat snap, I would think the whole thing would lose texture and appeal. Try serving your skinless brats in a good quality flatbread and see what you think.
  • ASTegaCay
    Options
    Some the the best Brats and dogs I have ever had I got from Usingers in Milwaukee. They have an online store and can ship them pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. I am in SC and when my order got here everything was still frozen even in August. Their website is

http://www.usinger.com/
  • Cheesegghead
    Options
    Can't go wrong with brats from Wisconsin! We're pretty good at cheese too. ;)
  • ASTegaCay
    Options
    My wife went up there and went to Usinger's, then a year later I drove up there for a training class and carried a Hog coffin to load up with Sausages and Frankfurters. Then this year we moved into a new house and I place a order to help fill up my Freezer. But as you say can't go wrong with Wis. Sausages or cheese, or the ultimate Chocolate Cheese Fudge. :blush:
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    nice looking cook, I'd eat em :woohoo:
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Ben where is that serbian place?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Chef's Corner in Naperville.

http://www.thechefscorner.com/

It's a tiny place. Only two or three tables inside, picnic tables out in the yard (literally a yard, the place was obviously a home at one point) during the summer. It's not specifically a Serbian restaurant, but the owner seems to be from central or eastern Europe, and his cevapi is one of the best things on the menu. He also does a couple soups every day, and used to have wonderful frozen custard (he actually was a customer of a friend of mine, who owns Meadowvale), but for the last year, he has been without his ice cream machine, and has switched to gelato, instead. It's not as good as his custard was.

The chef used to be chef at the United Center, and has all kinds of pictures on the wall with former Bulls players and execs. He's a really nice guy.