Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Gotta Share This

Options
2»

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Leroy that same thing happened at my house. I opted for a more lethal solution.

My daughter saw me putting a pile of corn at the base of a very large oak tree. She came outside and said "aw daddy, you're feeding the squirrel". I said "well actually I'm just relocating him". :whistle:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Already have one taking my Coop apart a little at a time.

I went out one day and a whole roll of paper towels was stretched across the yard. The little booger must have figured to make a nest with it.

The next day he tried again and tore about half a roll before he had enough. By then I thought I'd better lock up the paper towels.

Next thing I know he's pulling all the straw out from under my decorative chickens in the hutch.

I'm thinking the trap is going to get another workout pretty soon.

Spring "Had Enough Squirrels For A Long While" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I don't shoot 'em and I don't want none as pets. You want him, you can have him to eat or to train, your choice.

Spring "Chicken Don't Even Taste Like Chicken Anymore" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, for owls and eagles.

Spring "Ain't Eat'n No Tree Rat" Chicken
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I'm glad you did not have to break out the SKUNK SUIT!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Way to go Rodent Remover Extrodinare!!!!!O'l Chewey there would be good with some biscuits and gravy! ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    So what did the great white hunter do with the little SOB that did it??

I hear they are quite tasty breaded and deep fried..

(didn't read the other responses... )
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    The first thing I did was put some rate bait up inside the hole just in case he was up there. This bate makes him want water so he has to leave. He never touched it because he never came back.

But in reading Google stuff I read where poison is not a good idea. For one thing he might die somehere that a pet dog or cat could find him, then they would die too if they ate him.

Also, squirrels like to hide their food, another way for pets or even children to find it.

And he might die up in the attic making your house smell pretty bad for up to a couple of months.

The trap was highly recommended and it worked just like it was supposed to. $20+ and I still have the trap for next time.

Spring "Hair Trigger Trap" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'll just eat biscuits and gravy but I don't want no rat in it.

Spring "Biscuits Is Good, Rats Is Bad" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    He is incarcerated and undergoing water boarding at the moment. (he is still in the cage and it's raining)

Don't worry, he had plenty of peanut butter, pecans and tortilla for dinner. And the cage has a roof. Anything more comfortable than that does not meet my need for justice.

Spring "Happy Me, Unhappy Squirrel" Chicken
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You're rite have the B/G with some good country ham.........and buy a HUGE python or some other snake like that and let em live in your attic.SURPRISE Mr.Tree-rat!!! ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    In other words you kind heart won't let you slay the SOB.. :laugh:

Maybe you should let him/her go over by the Gratemates World Headquarters.. :evil:
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Gotta tell you - my son's old scoutmaster had a squirrel problem and caught one with a trap like yours. Being an inquisitive sort, he used paint to put a couple of unmistakable yellow marks on the SOB. Then he took the squirrel over the river, across the freeways, into the next county and released him in the woods.

Two weeks later the squirrel was back.

Bob V
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Then I need to start thinking Plan C.

Spring "Be Nice But Be Thorough" Chicken
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    So is he in the Dutch Oven?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    350 direct for about 20 minutes, turn frequently.
  • brain-game
    Options
    Being a life-long southerner myself and a committed exterminator of tasty critters, I would suggest gathering a couple of his friends, cooking them low & slow, then serving them with dumplings. An old-school southern preparation.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    at least you didn't need the black plastic suit like you did for the skunk a couple years back! I have to wonder though what appealed to the rascal to chew like that? We have squirrels literally by the hundreds and the only damage to our home has been they love to eat the lead boot protecting our roof vents.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: nice work, B'Wanna :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    That brings back memories of the famous skunk hunt.

Mike