Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Best risotto I've ever made

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
#2 son who is now in the restaurant biz gave me a box of arborio from the chef at his place. I laughed it off having some really good rice in the past. This was the best I have ever had.

P1020887.jpg

Some asparagus, Italian parsley, garlic, basil and parmesan. Look at the size of the grains

P1020886.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Now why in the world would you consider that "OT"...I hope to one day learn half of your cuisine..
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Steven did he start up his own biz?

Wayne
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wess,

Did it on the stove. This rice is amazing!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I got one of those.....at least I think I do..
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wayne,

He bought in to a little place in Parkdale. Little rough right now but there is a huge condo going up across the street. Queen and Ossington area.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Steve, I love a good risotto!! Looks great!
    We did a orzo dish yesterday I think we should do next week. Add the parm and stir before plating and it comes out very creamy like risotto.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Molly,
    I had a half a pound of parm in that. Didn't look as creamy as it was.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rib Fan
    Options
    Steven....I am opening up a Buster Rhinos location in Oshawa. Slated to open next week.
    If you are in the location stop by for some BBQ.

Wayne
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    IMPRESSIVE!....as usual! ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wayne,

I'm trying to remember Buster Rhino. I know the rubs and sauces. Is that the guy on BBQ talk.ca? There was a guy that had a shop in the Shwa. Don't think it was Rhino though. Left that forum many years ago...Egg haters.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smoking Coles
    Options
    Steven,

I know every one has advice, but I was the GM for a fine dining restaurant in Atlanta for about 6yrs. It was a Mediterranean concept, and we had a Rissotto of the day. Might be worth mentioning to son #2. It was a best seller of ours, especially at lunch. Sometimes is was spinach and oyster mushrooms, other times, itailian sausage and brocollini. Endless combinations. Hope is works out well for him.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hoss,

Can't find the charger for the Nikon, I'd be impressing your a$$ if I could :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Smoking Coles,

Thanks. In it's current state it is not a risotto kinda place. I am trying to work with them on the menu but it isn't the best area of town. :unsure:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rib Fan
    Options
    Steven...he currently runs a location in south Whitby. I think he was on bbq talk...but not sure. Cooks on a huge southern pride smoker. Busy spot but run out of an industrial area and not open on weekends.

Wayne
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I could make a meal out of a good risotto, Steve that looks real good.

Ross
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    thanks for posting that, always just heard the word risotto and thought rice. checked it on wiki and see its so much more. i must live in a cave, seem to be missing alot,but i see risotto in my future. my cabinet is so bare right now, its time for a full scale restock, ill add that for a future cook :) i dont consider any cook an ot topic, while this is a bge forum i see it more as a foodie cuisine type forum that gets people cooking things they have never even seen or heard about, its way more than a place to talk bbq
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    As usual Steve that looks great :) I love Risotto and all that can be done with it. I am going to have to see if I can hunt that rice down, down here in fl.
    and the restaurant that does a featured risotto every day????.... my kind of place lol
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Julie,

It is absolutely the best arborio I've evr used.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    fishlessman,

It's really an easy cook too. Sweat the rice in butter and oil with garlic and onion or shallot or nothing. Add a little white wine and cook down. Then just cover with hot stock and reduce and repeat three or four times til you get the texture you like.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Ross,

I don't do it often enough anymore cause of the eggs. It can be done on an egg but it doesn't add anything.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Steven, the risotto looks fabulous.

Unfortunately, risotto is one of my Achilles heel. I wind up eating most of the pan. :pinch: I'll be in northern Italy this spring and am sure I will eat plenty of risotto.....but I'm certain it won't be as good as yours!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Aw, Rebecca, I'm sure it will be alright :laugh:

Grab some Bomba while you are there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON