Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

faster way to light charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK fellas...I've had my BGE for about 1.1/2 years and lovin' every minute of it, BUT! I'm to the point now that I need to search for a quicker method of starting up the coals.[p]I've been using the chimney starter ever since and like it actually, but since my wife and I are bad at deciding dinner at the last minute...I dread going out there preparing everything then. SO...I was reviewing Naked Whiz's site and he mentions this:[p]"You can place a cube or two or three semi-buried in the top of the charcoal, or you can place a cube or two underneath the grate by sticking it in through the bottom vent."[p]SO...I tried a Weber cube underneath the grate this morning..2 times...and the 1st time nothing started....2nd time 1 piece got barely started, so I shut her off as that was just way too slow. Of course, I tried to position the cube in one of the grate holes, but that didn't do any better.[p]Hopefully I'm doing it wrong, but sure would like one of you to let me know. I like the idea of the MAPP torch, but I've got a couple of youngins' around, so you can understand my concern.[p]One more question, though....how do you guys fix up your charcoal for multiple cooks in the future? do you fix it up nicely everytime or do you load up the charcoal and let her be after so many cooks?[p]Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ducky, I was using an electric starter all the time until someone on here turned me on to the green gel starter at Wal-Mart. Don't remember the name of it but it is SOOO much better and faster than electric starter. Just squirt a little bit in the center of your lump and the fire will be ready to go by the time you are. No mess, no fuss, no after-taste! I highly recommend you trying this.[p]Good luck,
    Van

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Hugh Jass,[p]It's called Green Heat. Three bucks for a 40 oz. bottle.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Ducky,[p]I'm pretty haphazard on reusing charcoal. I'll use it, let it die, stir it around a bit the next time and maybe add some, and fire her up again. I never make it pretty (hell, I don't even have time to do my nails, much less make a mount of charcoal attractive). Green Heat works pretty well, particularly if you squoosh it between a couple pieces of lump instead of just on top of it. I keep a Mapp for sure and use that most of the time. In addition to making very pretty fireworks, it will start it in no time. After I get a bit going, I stand there with my trust $1 handheld fan and get it all excited. If I do this with fresh lump, I can do 0-700 in about 15 mins.[p]As far as the kids...the same precaution you use with bleach works. Keep it out of reach.
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    Ducky,[p]If you really need a fast fire and would like to continue using the cubes, test this tried and true approach. Break your cube into smaller chunks and place on the bottom grate before placing any charcoal into the Egg. Light the cube chunks and lay just a few pieces of the largest lump you have on top of the fire. As these pieces start to burn, stack a few more pieces on top until you have a nice glowing pile burning. Continue to toss pieces on the pile as you see fit. It shouldn't take more than five or so minutes to have it going.
    It doesn't take a lot of charcoal to cook yourself some dinner. Oxygen is what keeps the flames burning, so the more oxygen you have circulating around in there , the better. I've easily been able to obtain a 400 degree fire with as little as two to three handfuls of lump.
    As far as your question concerning setting up for multiple cooks, I'm a little unclear as to what you are asking. I'm assuming you mean "multiple cooks" as being over several days. If that is the case, I still use the method above but I prefer the MAPP torch. You can surely load up the Egg with charcoal and leave it for future cooks. Just be sure to give it a good stir to help the ash fall through the lower grate. I just prefer to use fresh lump each time because of my taste for smoke. Mac

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Ducky,
    mapp. .. .90 seconds in one spot for low and slow, 90 seconds each in 3 spots for higher temp cooks, close the lid, and be at 700+ in less than 15 minutes. . ..and like mollyshark said, stir the old stuff in the fire box, rake out the ash door, throw some new lump on top and off you go. . .if you spend more than 5 minutes cleaning out your egg, loading more fresh lump and getting it going, you are wasting time (IMHO). . .

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey Ducky:[p]All of the positive comments that sing the praises of that liquid green gool notwithstanding, I just can’t come to grips with the concept of using any kind of chemicals inside my cooker. Yeah, I know, it’s all natural . . . yadda, yadda, yadda (by the way, crude oil and petroleum products are “all natural” as well!).[p]About two months ago I went through the latest iteration involving my chimney starter. Like most others I started using the thing with a wad of newspaper. It worked fine, no question about that. My first improvement to that process was to insert my electric starter into the chimney before filling it with starter lump. That worked even better then the burning newspaper, and lit the starter lump very quickly.[p]Now I just fill the chimney with the desired quantity of starter lump and light it from the bottom by applying Mr. propane torch through the bottom holes for about 60 seconds. Wammo! It’s ready to go very, very quickly. Just another option. . . [p]
    Adios – Daddo (Larry Marino)[p]DaddoCFL@BellSouth.net[p]

• Ohio Ed
    Ohio Ed Posts: 33
    Options
    Ducky,
    As a new user of the BGE I've tried a least 4 different methods, chimney,weber cubes,Green Heat and MAPP.All will do the job. Like MollyShark says the MAPP makes nice sparks but sure is quick.The chimney to me is not as convienent(easy). I've come to like both Weber cubes and Green Heat. I tend to put three cubes in the Large BGE at the 12 o'clock,4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position but on top of the lump in a little depression. I do the same with the green heat all about half way between the center of the pile and the outer edge. Fifteen to twenty minutes later I'm up and running.
    If you try Green Heat I'm sure you've read Mac in NC report on his catastrophy...it made an indelible impression on me!
    I tend to dump lump to the top of the fire ring and just keep reusing it after a stir and re-adding more before lighting up.
    Ed

• Unknown
    Options
    Ducky,[p]I use a MAPP -- I light three places for 20 seconds each. But wear welding gloves -- the sparks are mildly painful on bare skin. [And only fresh lump makes sparks -- old lump doesn't.]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ohio Ed, I second the Green Heat is the best for me vote, I never have any delays or problems of any kind...

• Buck Shot
    Buck Shot Posts: 34
    Options
    Ducky,[p]Ain't no better way out there to get that egg goin' fast than to use a flame thrower. Now it can be a bit awkward seein how you might have to rebuild your deck (that's if you have your egg on some kind of deck). It might not let you keep the same gasket for very long either. However the fire will start so fast that it'll make your head explode. Please keep anything combustible and under pressure away from that there flame thrower otherwise that explosion will be in the literal instead of figuritive sense. [p]Hope this helps.[p]Chris
  • Ohio Ed
    Ohio Ed Posts: 33
    Options
    Chet,
    It's fast becoming mine too....it's nice when a "little dab 'ill do ya" Of course I've got this big bottle to use up!
    Ed

• Unknown
    Options
    You're right Mac...I never thought of that....I'll have to try and use less charcoal next time around and try the cubes as you mentioned.[p]Yes...when I said "multiple cooks" I meant re-using the existing charcoal for the subsequent "cooks" instead of mucking about preparing the bed everytime. It looks like it's inevitable to buy a MAPP torch, though, if I really want it blazing fast in no time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sounds like I'm going to have to try the Green Gel before I go for a MAPP. And yes, I read Mac's experience with it and made me think...Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't try it, but what the heck...for only $3.00...might as well give it a go before I shell out for a MAPP.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Buck Shot,[p]Which MAPP torch do you have? I looked at Bernzomatic's website and they have several torches, but don't know which one will be just right for using to light up the egg.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments & tips guys....there's surely enough here to try a few things to speed up my lighting experience.[p]For now...I'm going to try and use the inexpensive methods first, i.e. Mac's cubes method, Green gel, etc.. and then move onto a MAPP torch if those methods doesn't do it for me.[p]Thanks again everyone!
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    Ducky,[p]Don't let my post scare you away from using Green Heat. It is safe when used correctly. If you remember, I mentioned that the bottle caught fire while I attempted to add fuel to an already existing fire. I couldn't see the flame and assumed it was out. When the flames hit the fumes inside the bottle, that's when the explosion occurred. It's best used the way Mad Max described. Make a small depression in the lump and add a tablespoon or so of gel. After lighting, put a few pieces on top and you'll be ready to cook in about ten minutes.
    I still use it. So should you. Happy eggin! Mac

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Mac...will give it a go for sure! Hopefully I can find the stuff at Academy as the nearest WalMart is miles away.