Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our first use of our new Egg was cooking pizza --Excellent!! However---Any suggestions on the easiest method to transfer the raw pizza to the cooking stone?? We managed to get it done the first time but it was a two person job -- gotta be an easier way.

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Jim Warren,
    Make the pizza in a metal pan (using either olive oil OR cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking), transfer it pan and all to the pizza stone and cook it for 5 minutes. Then hootch it off the pan and onto the stone using a big spatula or a peel. This makes the transfer process foolproof, IMHO, because the crust base has "set" and you don't risk an amoeba-shaped pie or worse--have it stick to the stone.
    Try it! Let me know.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Jim Warren,
    Buy or make a pizza peel. Here's a link to my webpage on makeing a peel. You can find them in kitchen shops and restaurant supply stores.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz Shows You How To Make A Peel[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Jim Warren, just like everything else the best is what you like. What works for me is to make my pizza on a metal pizza peel, slide it off on to the stone and then remove the cooked pizza. However for cutting and serving I use a wooden peel.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    Jim Warren,
    I prefer to use a pizza screen. Make and cook the pizza on the screen. Toward the end of the cook, it is easy to pull the screen out to brown the bottom a little more, or leave it in if the bottom is looking good.

[ul][li]pizza screens[/ul]
  • eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Options
    Jim Warren,
    Apply a sprinkle of corn meal on the peel before you put the crust on it,then apply sauce and toppings.
    The last thing to do before sliding the raw pizza off the peel and on to the stone is to slide a piece of dental floss between the peel and the crust in a sawing motion.This frees the crust from the peel and allows it to slide right off.
    Hope this helps.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Jim Warren,[p]Great question! Here's your answer...[p]www.superpeel.com
  • Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    Jim Warren,
    Someone on this forum suggested making the pie on a piece of foil. Just pull the foil on and off the stone. Simple, and it works.

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim Warren,[p]Mac is correct as is RRP and the others. Certainly, there are many ways to do the slidey thing, but I do not believe there is an easier and more foolproof way to get it right every time, and not have cornmeal or parchment to burn or foil or pans to remove midway. Simply place it gently on the stone and take it off when it is done.[p]I will send a sample Super Peel to the first one to claim it. Don't pay me anything, even if you do love it![p]Gary
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Gary Casper,[p]
    Pick me ...Pick me!!!![p]StumpBaby

• RRP
    Options
    Gary Casper, tell me more about your super peel...while I sure haven't sliced thru my wooden one yet I may be going to a party soon at which a "new bouncing BGE will be shown off by proud parents" and a peel will serve the purpose. If you don't want to convey too much info please email me.
  • Unknown
    Options
    OK,[p]Looks like both Stumpbaby and RRP are getting Super Peels. Congrats to both of them![p]We'll have to wait to see what they have to report back in a week or so.[p]Someone told me that if I gave enough of these away, I would make it up on volume. ???? Just don't make sense to me, but I'll try it. :-)[p]
    Gary

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    Jim Warren, buy a pizza screen (about $4.00) - build the pizza on that & place it on your pizza stone.

• RRP
    Options
    Gaspar, thank you! How do I go about claiming my prize?

• Unknown
    Options
    RRP,[p]Just emeil me with your shipping info. I will put in the mail by Thursday.[p]Gary