Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt crusted trout fillet

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,757
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
used richards help on this, certianly will be doing this again in the summer with some sebago salmon.
whipped up the egg whites, went to get the salt and found i only had a cup and a half to the four egg whites i had, didnt seem to make a difference other than looking like meringue pie.

DSC_0138-1.jpg

DSC_0140-1.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

tonight im frying the other half, have some walnuts, seasoned panko, some blue cheese, and some rice flour. any idea how crumbled blue cheese will take to frying in oil with the panco or should i just skip that idea
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• eenie meenie
    Options
    fishlessman, that looks very intriguing and delicious. I've done salt crusted fish, but never with a meringue like coating. Interesting. Nice presentation as well.

Is that your big brown trout? :)
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Very interesting. I have not tried this yet but there has definitely been an up trend on TV about this method. I shall try this soon. Thanks for sharing. :)
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep, thats the brownie, ive never done the salt crust thing but it is a real good technique, was a little nervous when i found there wasnt much salt but things worked out pretty well :)
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    It looks good and flaky and flavor full. Did the lemon flavor go through the fish? :P Tim
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the lemon worked good, wished the dill was fresher but everything came out extremely moist
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I thought I've had ever kind of salmon, you got me on the "Sebago" salmon. Where is that from? I've never seen a preparation like that, very interesting. Looks wonderful!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its a landlocked fresh water version of an atlantic salmon,Salmo salar sebago, three lakes in maine have the origional strain that was trapped in fresh water in the last ice age. really good eating fish. really fun to catch
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That's interesting, thanks for the info and the great post. :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I use rice flower on shrimp there is a thin coating and nothing for the panko to grip. The bleu cheese will run some like a cheeseburger. I would make the bleu cheese as a sauce with the walnuts chopped in it and poured over the fish after the cook.

Sauce, Beef, Blue Cheese

Here it is! Start with the triangle pack of blue cheese (whatever brand they have). Warm in a sauce pan on low heat. Add some butter to help thin it out, EVOO also works. Finish with a little cream, couple tablespoons at most. Don't boil, just melt! Shoot for thick not soupy. Spoon over your steak. Or drink it right out of the pan!!!

INGREDIENTS:

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Ronbeaux, 2006/12/11
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thats why i ask these questions Richard :) ill flour, eggdip, add some jiffey muffin mix to the panko and maybe just a little crushed walnuts and then make the cheese sauce with the walnuts to pour over the top. i think the egg dip and muffin mix will get enough to stick. i think the panko i have has a little parmasian mixed in as well. thanks for the help
    fukahwee maine

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Richard, how much salt and egg white's?

Ross
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im not sure the whites are needed, it does help to put a thinner even layer on though. i whipped them in the stand mixer til they started to peak then folded the salt in, seemed to work well, was shooting for one egg white to 1 cup salt ratio until i found out i was almost out
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't forget some blueberries.