Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for good Beef Jerky chunks recipe

Options
Smokey Bandit
Smokey Bandit Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some left over sirloin beef chunks, the kind that you would use in stew, and I am looking for a good recipe for making some steak jerky out of it. I have a medium sized BGE and a placesetter. I have found some recipes on here, but they are not specific as to whether or not you smoke the meat directly or indirectly using a platesetter. I know that a good start is to marinade the meat and keep the fire at around 180 degrees.[p]Does anyone have any ideas?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />SmokeyBandit,
    Cook indirect with placesetter. I use River City recipe with a few minor adjustments. Careful with the smoke, to much and meat will turn out bitter.[p]Good Luck,[p]CWM

• Smokey Bandit
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Those jerky pieces sure look good! I decided to marinade the jerky chunks using GFW's method. Since I do not have 2 grilling surfaces, do you think I could get away with using the placesetter on top of the grill with the fish/veggie grate on top of the placesetter? If you are not familiar with what it looks like, It is a grilling surface with small holes in it used mostly for fish and veggies. [p]Also, do you think this will take more than 10-12 hours? I am going to marinade the meat for a few hours at least.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    placesetter.jpg
    <p />SmokeyBandit,
    Gfw will tell you the same thing. His recipe is a great starting point. I use BBQ sauce or more cayenne pepper sometimes.
    That would work but why not take grate off and place the placesetter on the fire ring.
    The pic you see is a placesetter on top of the fire ring, put the cooking grate on top and load with jerky.
    I've cooked in eight hours before. Really try to keep temp below 180, The longer you cook the drier and tougher.[p]CWM

• Smokey Bandit
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I was wondering if I could put the platesetter directly on the fire ring. That is a great idea. You all have been so helpful! I am firing up the mapp torch now about to get started. I'll let you know how it turns out.[p]SmokeyBandit

• Smokey Bandit
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I put the jerky on last night at around 8:00 PM, and once I got the fire under control at 180 degrees I threw in some JD wood chips and put the platesetter on top of the fire ring, lined it with foil and put the meat chunks on top of the fish grid. [p]I let the chunks smoke all night not evening worrying about turning it or anything, and when I got up this morning (12 hours later) I had beef jerky chunks! They were perfectly tender although I think that GFW's recipe is SPICY! Too much tabasco. I'll taper off on that next time.[p]Thanks for your help!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    SmokeyBandit,[p]Spicy???? You are a whimp son :~)[p]Hey, glad they turned out so well. You gonna share some with me since I didn't get to taste your ribs?[p]I doing some wings after church ala Kenny G's posted recipe From Somona Williams.[p]Catch up with you later.[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SmokeyBandit,
    I've tried the tabasco sauce. I use the one with cayenne pepper.
    Overall pretty good stuff.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SmokeyBandit,
    Never tried the tabasco sauce, sorry for the repeat.[p]CWM