Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket going on 19 hours and looking good

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
13 pounder been going since 6 last nite is at 184 internal and cooking at about 250 now was at 225 for most of the cookIMG_3947.jpgIMG_3946.jpgalmost ready for the cooler rest

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks terrific!! You're going to love it!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    I'm working on the same thing right now, started a 13 pounder last night about 7:30 and it is currently at 171 and finally climbing after being in the 160s for many hours.
    I have been having a little trouble lately with my temperatures staying up overnight. Last night my temp had been stable at about 215 grate temp for about 4 hours when I finally went to bed. At about 4 AM I woke up and checked it and it was down to about 170 at the grate. I went out and opened it up a bit, set my thermometer alarm for 230 degrees and at about 7:00 it started beeping. I went out and necked it back down a bit and now it has been slowly dropping from 230 at 7:00 AM to 212 now.
    I did one three days ago and pretty much had the exact same issue.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Looks great! Nice color. Let us know how it comes out.

One of these days I'll try that.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    make sure the egg is clean of ash before starting and then sometime after about 12-14 hours open the door all the way on the bootom and stick something like a coat hanger( i use a big fork with the tines bent up) and stick it in and clear the holes in the grate a few seem to get pluged with ash. this worked great for me. also i put some big pieces of coal on the bottom before i filled it upto the top with the rest of the coal
  • Hugh Albrecht
    Options
    what size of egg are you cooking on
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    med egg. i filledit with a full load of coal and stuffed a 13 pound brisket in it. brisket is in the cooler for about 2 hours and point is on the egg gettin ready for burnt ends. still goin and its been about 22 hours.
  • Hugh Albrecht
    Options
    always smokin wrote:
    med egg. i filledit with a full load of coal and stuffed a 13 pound brisket in it. brisket is in the cooler for about 2 hours and point is on the egg gettin ready for burnt ends. still goin and its been about 22 hours.

thanks. I'm thinking of getting a large egg but wanted to make sure I could do a 13-15 lb brisket on it.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    As the earlier post said, wiggle stick the grate real good... you don't want to see ash falling through the holes. I usually can go 6-8 hours after a wiggle - steady as a rock.... used to get up at night to check, quit after 3-4 cooks with no problems
    Kent Madison MS
  • N'awlins
    Options
    Just me……..but a BBQ Guru DigiQII set at a grid temp of 212 will help.