Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Please; Best way to cook a burger

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I have been out of touch for awhile. I have been out of town on business and I am ready to fire up egg again. I want to throw on some burgers tonight. The last 2 times I cooked burgers it was not a success. The first time I bought ground sirloin and they came out tough. The second time I used chuck and tried TRex method on them and they were dry and tough. I noticed one recipe reccommending cooking at 750 with lid left open. Any ideas? I like a juicy burger. How should I cook them? What temp?[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• PackerFan,
    This is my recipe.[p]1 Part ground sirloin (for taste)
    1 part ground chuck (for juicyness)[p]If you are adventurous add:
    .5 part ground Brisket (adds a certain dimension thats tough to explain)[p]Sear then dwell until desired internal temp.[p]Grilless

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PackerFan,
    i buy standard 80/20 ground beef at the grocery, mix a couple of tablespoons of barbecue sauce into it. .. form patties at least 1/2 pound. ..get the egg nice and steady in the 375 - 400 degree range with either a chunk of hickory or jack danies chips. . .coat the burgers with kosher salt and either dizzy pig cowlick rub or ken stone's witchy red. . .throw the burgers on for about 10 minutes per side until done. . ..DO NOT press down on the burgers, that only gets rid of juices, not fat. . .. the burgers come out so good (even though they are at least medium well) and juicy that i don't put them on buns any more, add condiments or anything. ..my philosophy has become, since i don't put anything on a steak, why would i put it on any other part of the cow that comes out of the egg. . .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    PackerFan, one trick is to make the middle of the burger a little thinner than the outside edge. this will help it baste in its own juices while it cooks. another option, because i like greesy juicy burgers is to add ground bacon to the hamburger. small quantities go a long way. use the 80/20 hamberger, not the lean stuff. i like burgers plain but sometimes add stuff, like a little blue cheese mixed with adobo sauce into the burger.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I grind chuck roast on my KitchenAid grinder (coarse grind) and add salt, pepper and some ice water to the meat then form into patties about 3/4 - 1 inch thick. You can add some chili sauce to the mixture too if you'd like. Do not pack the meat tightly. Cook at 450 for about 4 mins a side for rare - med rare. I find the pre-ground meat is too finely ground and makes for a denser, dryer burger. Someone on this site also recommended putting an indentation in the center of the burger for more even cooking. Haven't tried that yet, but it makes sense. Good Luck!

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Another vote for the 80/20 mix here. I've found leaner mixes result in burgers that are way too dry. Ok, so now we learn that the juices are probably mostly made up of fat. Fat tastes good, doncha know?
  • PackerFan
    PackerFan Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I will put it to the test. I will let you know how they turn out. [p]Kenny

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    hamburgers.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    I have been cooking burgers that way for years. I add more BBQ sauce than you do and also add chopped onions. It has been my experience that the more sugar content of the sauce the better the smell. Drives the neighbors crazy.[p]CWM

• PackerFan,
    Here's a different method to add flavor and mositure. Cream a stick of butter with your favorite spices. Roll into a small log and freeze. When ready to make the patty, trim a disk of flavored butter and insert it into the center of the patty covering it completly with the meat.
    Avoid pressing the patty during cooking.
    Another simpler method is to make a patty with an ice cube in the center. Grill at 350-400 turning once ( the patty that is ) until your desired internal heat is achieved.
    Enjoy-[p]

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Julie,
    The indention definlty WORKS.............I actully put my thumb straight through the whole burger (like a bagel).....it seals up when burger is cooking...keeps burger almost as flat as when you pressed it! Very cool...[p]Paul