Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston lump help

Options
cdnewman
cdnewman Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since starting to Egg last September, I've failed to find a reliable source of lump that works well for me:
Local ACE has stuff the sparked like Chinese New Year. Local Walmart has no charcoal (seriously). Cowboy is my fallback (actually Whole Foods rebadge), but my egg and kitchen are 1 floor and length of house apart and have had several sudden temp increases 1/2 way through cooks. Was getting Hasty Bake from Bering's, but last 2 visits only had 8.8lb bags for $10. Prefer 20lb for cost and convenience. Finally, paid through nose for BGE lump, but we cook mostly fish and veggies. Smell is very strong and overwhelms a lot of our more delicate meals.
So if you've read this far and live in H-town: what lump do you use and where do you get it? I live in the 5th ward, so don't expect super-local, but will drive for a reliable source. Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• eggciter
    Options
    I live in Houston also and buy Wicked Weekend Lump at Ace Hardware in Friendswood 281-648-8200; Jeremy is a manager there and is an expert at the BGE. I was informed that this is the only place in the state to get Wicked. I also use Ozark which I buy at Chim Chimneys 281-316-9077 in League City the staff is awesome and they also have a great selection of BGE items. Both products are the best I have used and both businesses are OUTSTANDING.

Take care,

Eggciter
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Chris,

I'm quite a ways from the 5th Ward, but I get Royal Oak lump at the WalMart in Meyer Park (on S. Post Oak)l. I've also gotten the Wicked Good at the Ace in Friendswood, but it burns too hot for me. Lowe's carries Cowboy and it's OK.

Good luck. I usually buy six bags at a time, so it might be worth a trip from 5th Ward.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    You can check with restaurant supply places. Not all of them require you to have a membership like Restaurant Depot. I get mine from a farmer's co-op. The one here sells Fire King, which I really like for $17 for a 40lb bag.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    If you have a "do it best" hardware nearby, they offer free shipping to store and they carry the larger bags of royal oak on-line. Might be worth a shot. I'm trying to located Wicked Good up here in the metroplex.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    We usually get our lump from Kroger but you can also get the Big Green Egg lump from John Henry's store on I-45 North. He doesn't list it in his products section but he had it last time we were there. Here is the link. http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/newproducts.aspx?cat=Barbecue Accessories to post in your browser. He is one fantastic guy to get to know and his Pecan Rub can't be beat. Tell him Spring Chicken sent you :) If you are ever in the Spring area, drop on in to the Chicken Ranch for a visit. We'd love to meet you. Also, be sure to come to the Texas Eggfest in Austin on May 1st. You can get lots of lump there and do some cooking too.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Academy carries B&B in the 20# bag for about 12 bucks.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    :ohmy: My BGE lump supplier has been out for a couple of weeks so I started using "Full Circle". Works well as BGE lump except that the charcoal is smaller and the 8.8 lb bag isn't much cheaper than BGE lump. Pretty good quality though. Got it at Brookshires Grocery.