Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks-Illustrated-Almost No Knead Bread

Options
loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,765
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
http://www.breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/

After 16 hr rise
BreadStuff1.jpg

After 2nd (2hr) rise and onto the egg
BreadStuff2.jpg

Dam, forgot the slice down the middle :sick:
BreadStuff3.jpg

1/2 way through
BreadStuff4.jpg

Finished
BreadStuff6.jpg

BreadStuff11.jpg

Dang good for a bread rookie! :cheer:
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    All I can say is absulutly perfect! :whistle: I did lot of no knead last year and loved it. Number one: it has a rustic, rich, hearty taste that is hard to beat. Number two: Don't have a real mixer in the 1st place! :laugh: Seriously a fine job. The seed mkes it look ALMOST store bought. ;)
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Thank You JL

Alot of the seeds fell off when sliced :(
    I tried to pat them on but didn't want to push to hard.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Man seed or no seed looks like you nailed it. All ready saved to favorites. ;)
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    WOW - very impressive bread - I like the fact that you cooked it in a ci dutch oven - thanks for the link.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    That's a great lookin loaf. Taste like sourdough?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's a beauty Dan!! Great job!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Didn't think so at the time, :unsure: but getting ready to toast a few slices and will let you know. :cheer:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Your bread looks great.

I make a similar bread in a dutch oven. Since the dough is so wet, it tends to settle in the dutch oven before it really starts to bake and makes a thinner loaf than I like. I found a stainless steel bowl at Walmart that fits inside the 7 1/2 quart dutch oven that I use. After the dough rises overnight, I give it a slight knead and put it into the oiled bowl and let it rise again. Then I put the bowl inside the dutch oven for baking. This eliminates the need for parchment paper which sometimes gets into the folds of the bread.

I've made rye versions, sourdough, oat flour, etc. Very adaptable recipe.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Staci:

Well I gave it plenty of tries, :woohoo: but I didn't notice a sourdough flavor. :ohmy:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Great looking bread

Ross
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Dan, That came out prefectly baked .Beautiful colored crust and nice crumb.
    Looks like a keeper.
  • MileHighMatt
    Options
    Looks great! Thanks for the link, my dad swears by it!

Matt
    Denver
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use a cup of sourdough starter in place of the yeast and not quite as much flour and the bread has a great sourdough flavor.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • gregegg
    gregegg Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for the link!

Looks delicious!

Greg
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, very nice job! I've yet to try bread on the egg but those pictures sure inspire me to want to try.

BD
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That is a great looking loaf.

Mike