Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great weekend- Paul Kirk Pitmaster Class

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Husband Steve & I attended a Paul Kirk Pitmaster Class on Saturday - an incredibly thoughtful birthday gift from my mother. It was fabulous- we learned so much and are totally inspired! If he's ever in your area don't miss an opportunity to attend his class. (We had people from 4 states & Canada).[p]It was totally intimidating, at first light, to pull up next to the "big guys" with their humongous smoker/trailer rigs and proceed to unload our diminutive BGE from the back of my old Montero, but we were alongside some BGE friends who met us there and saved us a spot. We felt strength in numbers. (Small numbers, but plural anyway).... All four meats ended up fitting on (thanks to Paul's encouragement) and being cooked on our large BGE, low & slow. We cooked as if it were a real KCBS competition, with Paul teaching us along the way. Even though our ribs were not cooked in time, we placed third overall!!!*[p]Perhaps there's a competition in our future. [p]JCA[p]* Being beaten by novices with a BGE made the pros more than a bit unhappy![p]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    J Appledog,
    That's the way to go, we will be looking for more updates in the future. Keep those pros on their toe's. LOL[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Cogratulations Julie!! Your showing does not surprise me. :) Great job and we are looking forward to seeing you guys again,
    later,
    ron.

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I love to hear reports like ya'lls. The BGE is hard to beat on anyone's turf. I cooked pulled pork last week and took it to Atlanta. My son's family could'nt get over the great taste.(they are picky)He wants to buy a BGE now,knowing him it will be this weekend.[p]Cheers
    MRH
    Howard in Bartow

• J Appledog,
    Great to hear from you! My wife and I met you at the Atlanta octoberfest and felt like we were in the presence of greatness. You were so friendly and helpful, and loved the parmesean wings! LOL Gregg

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Thanks, Gregg McIver![p]I served my best ever wings on Saturday as well. I marinated them in jerk & olive oil overnight Thursday, and on Friday I rolled each in Parmesan cheese and baked them in the oven at 375 until they were 1/2 - 3/4 done, just starting to brown. This can also be done on the BGE, indirect. Then I cooled them a bit and rolled them in Parmesan cheese again. I chilled them in the freezer for a bit and then put them in a Zip-Loc for the next day when they went on the cooker at 230 degrees, low and slow until they were done. Yum![p]Julie[p]

• J Appledog,[p]Where is the Paul Kirk Pitmaster Class held?[p]Thank you