Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What exactly is the TRex method?

RoodfoodEgg
RoodfoodEgg Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. I'm new here, with a new LBGE. I've seen lot's of references to the TRex method for steaks. But after looking at the recipe database, and searching the forum, I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation.

In general, when I read a post that says I used the "xxxx" method, I guess I don't know how to find the initial reference.

Thanks for all the help in this lively community!

Vince

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Welcome, Vince. As far as I am concerned,it's the only way to cook a steak!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Welcome to the Forum! It has been a huge help for me over past 8 months as I learn ins and outs of egging!

I am not the one to best explain TRexing, but will also add that you should consider trying the hot tub method some time also. It involves seasoning up your steak, putting in a plastic bag and emersing in hot water until internal about 105F or so (put opening of bag above water so no water gets on seasoned steak). Then finish with about 60 to 90 seconds at 600F direct! Awesome!!!! My family not big on blood rare steak, but with hot tub you can still have medium rare pink and hot without the running blood. Very flavorful ;) .

Have fun! Will be watching with you for a good explanation of the TRex method.

Dave in Keller, TX
  • For TRex, get your egg going at 650-700, your steaks should be quite thick (I cut mine 2" and one steak serves two people) and room temperature or so. put the steaks on direct for 90 seconds a side. Then take the steaks off and close the egg down to your 400 setting and rest the steaks until the egg is around 400.

Watch for flashback when opening the egg (either burp it a few times or open the topp and bottom for a while before opening). Put the steaks back on and flip every once in a while until they are the right temperature for you. Rest them again. Then enjoy.

This method makes a killer good steak.

Doug
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    How does that differ from closing the vents for 2- 4 minutes (depending on how thick and/or how one wants their steak cooked) after the 90 seconds per each side ?

That is how I do it. Comes out good.

Gary
  • When you Trex, you let the steak rest for 20 minutes after the sear and before the roast. Normally, most people just close the vents after the sear and immediately roast.
    The Naked Whiz
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    My issue with closing the vents right away that the fire will go out and your left with a ton of smoke that can't excape so the steaks taste very smokey. I like to hot tub for a hour and 2 minutes per side with a 1.5 inch steak.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Great question, and you have the right answers. Long and short of it, anytime I have a 1.75" or more steak, I use the T-Rex method. Good luck.
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    TRex method is the way to cook steaks. I thoght I knew how to cook steaks, being from Texas and all, but this is the only way I will cook my steaks from now on.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Roodfood,

The TRex strip steak method is in the Cookbook section of the Forum on the second page.