Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cooks-Illustrated-Almost No Knead Bread

loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
edited 8:42AM in EggHead Forum
http://www.breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/

After 16 hr rise
BreadStuff1.jpg

After 2nd (2hr) rise and onto the egg
BreadStuff2.jpg

Dam, forgot the slice down the middle :sick:
BreadStuff3.jpg

1/2 way through
BreadStuff4.jpg

Finished
BreadStuff6.jpg

BreadStuff11.jpg

Dang good for a bread rookie! :cheer:

Comments

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    All I can say is absulutly perfect! :whistle: I did lot of no knead last year and loved it. Number one: it has a rustic, rich, hearty taste that is hard to beat. Number two: Don't have a real mixer in the 1st place! :laugh: Seriously a fine job. The seed mkes it look ALMOST store bought. ;)
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Thank You JL

Alot of the seeds fell off when sliced :(
    I tried to pat them on but didn't want to push to hard.
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Man seed or no seed looks like you nailed it. All ready saved to favorites. ;)
  • WOW - very impressive bread - I like the fact that you cooked it in a ci dutch oven - thanks for the link.
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    That's a great lookin loaf. Taste like sourdough?
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's a beauty Dan!! Great job!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    Didn't think so at the time, :unsure: but getting ready to toast a few slices and will let you know. :cheer:
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,632
    Your bread looks great.

I make a similar bread in a dutch oven. Since the dough is so wet, it tends to settle in the dutch oven before it really starts to bake and makes a thinner loaf than I like. I found a stainless steel bowl at Walmart that fits inside the 7 1/2 quart dutch oven that I use. After the dough rises overnight, I give it a slight knead and put it into the oiled bowl and let it rise again. Then I put the bowl inside the dutch oven for baking. This eliminates the need for parchment paper which sometimes gets into the folds of the bread.

I've made rye versions, sourdough, oat flour, etc. Very adaptable recipe.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
    Staci:

Well I gave it plenty of tries, :woohoo: but I didn't notice a sourdough flavor. :ohmy:
  • Great looking bread

Ross
  • Dan, That came out prefectly baked .Beautiful colored crust and nice crumb.
    Looks like a keeper.
  • Looks great! Thanks for the link, my dad swears by it!

Matt
    Denver
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,632
    I use a cup of sourdough starter in place of the yeast and not quite as much flour and the bread has a great sourdough flavor.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • gregegggregegg Posts: 68
    Thanks for the link!

Looks delicious!

Greg
  • Wow, very nice job! I've yet to try bread on the egg but those pictures sure inspire me to want to try.

BD
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    That is a great looking loaf.

Mike