Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking salmon

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking some salmon today. A friend gave me some fillets he caught in Alaska and I bought a steelhead fillet at the grocery store.
IMG_1690.jpg
The three pieces on the left are the steelhead, notice the bright red color, gotta believe that color was added. -RP

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That'll be some good eats Randy!! Enjoy!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Randy,

That Alaskan Salmon will surely make your day. ;)

Way to get after it and make a big batch. My kinda method B)

Brined or cured?
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    I had fresh Alaskan Salmon 3 weeks ago. It turned out great. I did it Dizzy Pig Style with pure maple syrup and butter. Salmon is great on the egg any way it cooked.

Larry
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Adam, dry cured with salt, brown sugar, and maple syrup. -RP
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    Does this mean we're having Lox and bagels at the fest in two weeks? I'll bring the capers.
  • wspwooks1
    Options
    AZRP,

Can you please provide me with the method that you are planning on doing?? (pictures would be killer) Did you brine them? If so, what did you brine them with? What will be your temps and set up in the Egg?? I too plan on smoking some salmon in February. It is going to be seafood experimentation month for me.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
  • Rhino
    Rhino Posts: 39
    Options
    I just smoked some salmon yesterday. Brined for 24 hours with a mixture of soy sauce, salt, sugar, water, granulated garlic, pepper, and white wine. Removed from brine and let air dry in the fridge for about 18 hours. Smoked on the egg with alder wood using the coffee can method and held the temp between 165 and 185 (mostly right around 173). took it off after about 11 hours, wrapped it and put in the fridge. I will be eating later tonight.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    When I get some salmon at Sams it says color added. You planking?

Mike
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Nice fillets Randy!
    I did some Dp's way on a plank. Love it!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    How'd the salmon turn out, Randy? Cold smoke or hot smoke?