Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot and fast ribs on Throwdown

jphgator
jphgator Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bobby Flay did a BBQ ribs throwdown (and lost) against Ed Mitchell from NC. Ed said he does his ribs "hot and fast." Twenty minutes per side. Anyone every try this?

Comments

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    I don't go that fast, but have cooked BB ribs at 350 degrees several times, like they do at Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous. I have been impressed with how these have turned out every time. I cook these around 90 min, basting every 15 min.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    This was brought up a year ago and I have seen that episode at least twice. I can see that he does his ribs direct but that is one hot fire if he is only 20 minutes per side. I almost wonder if he starts them a different way and finishes them direct on a grill.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    I haven't seen that episode but 20 min per side just doesn't seem right. Just seems to fast for a not so tender piece of meat, to me anyway. Mike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maybe he boils them first! :lol::lol::lol:

Seems like I read something about that here a week or so ago. :whistle:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BADaQ
    BADaQ Posts: 159
    Im a little curious about that also. Watched that episode 2 times and still no idea what he is doing with that tech.
  • Crimsongator
    Quick search found this also :lol: .

I was watching Bobbly Flay's Throwdown the other night and he was competing against Pitmaster Ed Mitchell. Ed cooked his rack of ribs over direct high heat at about 500 degrees for about 10 min until it had grill marks, flipped them over for indirect for 30 min and sauced for another 10 min. The meat pulled 1/2 " away from the bone tips and tore off the bone nicely. Bobby cooked his rack the low and slow indirect method for about 4 hours.
  • Seriously, there is a Steakhouse in my home town with fantastic ribs. I have often thought they **** pot them and then finish on the grill after ordered. How else, can you deliver a rib dinner in 20 minutes? I have attempted to get their method without success. :angry:
  • Crimsongator
    There are several food service companies that sell pre cooked ribs. I had a neighbor that "cooked" them regularly. He did a good job finishing them.
  • Roll Tide
    Here are the cooking directions that he presented to the today show. According to this he cooks for close to an hour, which is believable considering the temp he is cooking at.

Once the Pitmaster has his grill pit hot with charcoal and is ready to grill, seasoned spareribs are neatly arranged, meat side down, on grill. Allow this side to cook uninterrupted for approximately 15 minutes. Using tongs, carefully, quickly turn ribs over (bone side down). Allow to cook for another 15 minutes or so. With a clean kitchen towel blot any blood off the meat side of the rib. Repeat turning over ribs at 10 to 15 minute intervals for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just fully cooked.
  • Roll Tide
    Here are the cooking directions that he presented to the today show. According to this he cooks for close to an hour, which is believable considering the temp he is cooking at.

Once the Pitmaster has his grill pit hot with charcoal and is ready to grill, seasoned spareribs are neatly arranged, meat side down, on grill. Allow this side to cook uninterrupted for approximately 15 minutes. Using tongs, carefully, quickly turn ribs over (bone side down). Allow to cook for another 15 minutes or so. With a clean kitchen towel blot any blood off the meat side of the rib. Repeat turning over ribs at 10 to 15 minute intervals for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just fully cooked.
  • Crimsongator
    and if 500* direct is what he used, it could be done this way. Rendezvous has vertainly made a fortune with direct charcoal cooked ribs.
  • Roll Tide
    yes they have. I love the flavor that Rendezvous has. I was a naysayer before I ate theirs and they really turned me on to the charcoal ribs. I cook them that style often in my offset. I enjoy the flavors of their rubs and sauces, which I am setting on about a half-case of each now from last trip to memphis.....
  • Crimsongator
    We did their bbq chicken nachos at the eggfest in 2008. They were a hit. My favorite when we lived in Memphis was Friday lunch at the Rendezvous and get their red beans,
  • Roll Tide
    Sounds great. I hav enever had rendezvous' bbq nachos, but have had Jim Neeley's Interstates bbq nachos a few times and loved them. At home, I have used the 'vous rub rub/sauce and made them. I can't wait to get back to memphis in a couple weeks and eat at Rendezvous, The commisary, dyers, etc... and to eat some great fried chicken at Gus's! I've thought about moving to Memphis for the food alone....
  • Crimsongator
    We moved out so we could raise 2 boys closer to our family. I enjoyed Rendezvous. My favorite was Neeley's Interstate and Germantown Commisary. We typically ate Friday lunch at Rendezvous. We also ate at Coletta's near downtown and also at little mexican place (LaGuatelapana) closer to Bartlett. Oh year, every Saturday AM was a trip to daylight donuts with the boys.
  • When I do baby backs in St. Maartens (I go there about 4 times a year) and I am at sea level I cook ribs on a weber gasser high end grill. I can crank the heat up to 600 and then drop the inside ring off and put the baby backs in the middle with the outside ring on77 wide open. The heat comes up quickly to 600 again, I can cook them 20 minutes on one side and then flip them over and cook them 20 minutes on the other side. I take them off for rest open 20 minutes. They are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Tried it hear in the US and it did not work. Seems to only work for me in the islands.

Today I am doing lo and slo ribs at 275 for six hours or until done...indirect, Jack Daniels chips and rub
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I know this is a 4 year thread but I just saw this episode on Throwdown last night.  I noticed Ed Mitchelle called his ribs "Carolina ribs" and Bobby used St Louis cut spares.   What is a Carolina rib?  They sure were flexible when he was putting them on the grill.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's gonna seriously cut into "mancave beer time".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This was between 100 & 110 mins this past weekend. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    20 minutes a side doesn't give you enough time to consume enough alcohol. Whats the use?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Start drinking 3 hours before you put them on. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Mickey - what temp?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I start drinkin when I put the rub on in the morning
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    4Runner said:
    Mickey - what temp?

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.