Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting Smoked Cheese

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked another 5 lbs of chedder yesterday and have the bagged cheese resting in the refridgerator. I generally rest them in ziploc bags a week before vacuum sealing them. Is there any downside to vacuum sealing them immediately? Thanks!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Tim,

I can't see a downside, as long as you hold off on freezing them for that same week or so.

Just packed a few pounds up yesterday, that sat in ziplocks for just over a week.

Hey Tim, your plenty close to make the little gathering in Brainerd. Feb 12,13 Got anything going that weekend?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I vacuum seal after three days. My cheese was pretty smooth when I opened it. 5lbs of cheese sounds glorious!
  • acs55812
    Options
    Do you freeze your smoked cheese? I froze some recently by accident and the cheddar turned crumbly.

Dan
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I nonly refridgerate and never freeze. I believe I read cheese will keep for 6 months in a vacuum seal and refridgerated. I am also carefull about wearing gloves while handling to prevent any introduction of bacteria.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You really need to do that with cheese.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I froze some last summer and the cheddar definitely turned crumbly. I can use it in recipes but it won't slice and the texture for eating just as cheese has really suffered. I haven't thawed/tried the pepperjack yet, but I won't be freezing in the future.

I do vac pac mine right away. I can't really see a reason not to.

As a datapoint, we buy very aged (6 year plus) cheddar every summer from a farm in Vermont. It's foil-wrapped, then waxed. I've kept the bricks un-cut for longer than a year in the fridge and it isn't moldy at all when we finally break into it. I would think vacuum packaging would give similar storage longevity.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Mine goes straight from the egg to the foodsaver. No problems here. I don't freeze my cheese.