Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for a church youth group

Options
Baby j
Baby j Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 26 pounds of Boston Butt injected and rubbed and ready to be cooked tomorrow. I've never injected with a marinade before. Well see how it goes.

Question, a guy at work said they he injects melted butter into the butt while it is cooking. Has anyone done that before? And if so, does it work?

Also, thank you to everyone for the help with quantity issue.

GEDC0048.jpg
GEDC0049.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The melted butter is a moisture retention trick. It does work, but isn't really necessary on the egg.

I don't understand though, why when cooking for a large group or audience you would choose to try new things? If you've done butts before and have been happy with the results, why not stick with that method?
  • Baby j
    Options
    I don't really know why, other than I've been watching Pitmasters. ALOT. And I just thought I would try it. Thought it would add more flavor.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I would not inject butter into the butts. May taste good, but the pulled pork is fatty enough without additional fat.

Please let us know how you enjoy the injected pork.

Richard
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Along the lines of what Fidel says, I don't usually try something new for a group. In fact, one of the things that has come up on the Pitmasters is when one of them tries something new is a competition. It's usually a no-no. That's what my wife is for. I try new recipes on her because she is brutally honest with me. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Baby j
    Options
    GEDC0051.jpg
    GEDC0050.jpg
    Got some snow, and the butt barley fit.