Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza getting closer!

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Molly I have the recipe, still working on my procedure.

Dough after overnight in the fridge
IMG00430.jpg

Pie with pesto, Italian sausage, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and mozz.
IMG00433.jpg

at the top of the AR, with another pizza stone just above gasket level. 700* for about 6 minutes
IMG00434.jpg

The bottom looks pretty good, but the top could have browned up quite a bit more. Perhaps I need to get it higher in the dome?
IMG00435.jpg
Pesto was good for flavor, but too much olive oil. Overall, I'm headed the direction I want to go. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Looks good.

I'd try lower temp for longer cooking time. 600 for 10-12 minutes will probably make everything cook evenly. I'll go 700+ for very simple pizzas, cheese and herbs.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Agreed!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Options
    You so will get there Staci!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Mike! What the...? I count on you to taunt with pictures of places lighttemps away from here. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips. 600 next time.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Thanks again for the foundation. This was the first time I was getting what I wanted them to look and taste like.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    No prob. Nice talking with you Staci!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Staci - Great effort! We usually go about 550-575* for 10-12 minutes. This allows the bottom to brown slightly while the top cooks as well. Maybe just a bit too high on the temp this time. Pie looks good though, and love the choice of ingredients. :) You'll get it!! :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    cook it at 550 and longer. getting it higher is not needed.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Maybe a bit more sugar in the dough. I heard that will brown more. Not sure if it's true. Not very round, but brown and good.
    IMGP0199.jpg
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Maybe a bit more sugar in the dough. I heard that will brown more. Not sure if it's true. Not very round, but brown and good.
    IMGP0199.jpg
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Options
    Looks amazing.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    Staci- high in the dome does help in my opinion. I cook my thin crust pies at about 700* using the setup below. Assuming you have the spider in addition to the AR, put the spider on top of the grate, then I put my 13" stone on spider. You will have to either remove the thermometer, or put the clip on the outside of the Egg. I get pretty even browning bottom and top in about 5 mins. Works well with thin crust, but go very light on toppings.

Pizza1-28-10003.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Staci,

I'm really liking the CI pan. Cheating maybe but really like the results.
    DSC_0029-7.jpg
    DSC_0015-9.jpg
    DSC_0016-7.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    I agree with the others...550-600 degrees for 10-12 min gives brown toppings and perfectly cooked crust.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Staci,
    That pizza looks great.
    Here's a suggestion on how to end up with less olive oil and soaking into the crust.I put the pesto I'm going to use on my pizza in a mesh strainer over a bowl to drain the excess olive oil off.You still will have plenty of pesto and oil left for your pizza.
    That pizza sure looks inviting.