Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Nature Boy - info on hanging drip pan please

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In your messarge re: accessories, you mentioned a homemade hanging drip pan. Do you have a link or can you pass on any details regarding how you made it? Also, when do you use it as opposed to having the platesetter inverted with the drip pan sitting on it under the grid? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I don't think I have any pictures, but I think Wess took some of his. Basically you bend two flat steel bars so that the "tabs" hang on the firebox, and set them up so you have an X shape. And the drip pan sits on there down under the level of the main grate.[p]With the platesetter, the drip pan ends up above the level of the top of the fire ring. The hanging rack gets it below, an gives you more vertical cooking space, and allows you a lot of flexibility for multi-level setups, and just if you like your meat further from the drip pan, as I do. Only disadvantage is slightly less charcoal space, but not found it to be a problem.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I do have pics of mine in my small, same principle as the large just obviously a little smaller...either way, it can be seen on my "Tips" page..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]This is the rig we put together at your place last year using, I think, 3/4" metal strips bought in 48" lengths at Lowes for about 2 bucks a piece.[p]For the large, Old Dave recommends a 13" diameter drip pan to rest on the X...... Old Dave contends the 13" allows maximum shielding from the heat without impinging on the airflow from the fire........ and when Old Dave speaks, I listen. :~)[p]26thJ001.jpg
    26thJ002.jpg[p]
    It's hard to see but there are three levels of cooking space with this setup. The first level rests on the fire ring, the second just below the lip of the egg and the third is the grid extender. [p]I have cooked 20 lbs of chicken at one go with this setup....
    26thJ003.jpg[p]Beers!
    John

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    all i know is that little device saved my thanksgiving last year. . .when i did my 19 pound turkey in a roasting pan in the large, it wouldn't fit with normal plate setter and grid, but by having NB's toy with water pan, i was able to fit the roaster on the grid at regular height, and all was well. . .just had to keep filling the water pan over the course of the cook (about 7 hours). . .but that thing was a lifesaver. ..[p]i still have to go and make my own one of these days (or steal chris's on sunday!)