Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Danish ribs

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's an add in our local paper for Danish ribs. I've never heard of them and was wondering what they are and how they are different from other ribs. Got any ideas?

Comments

• They are usually packed in 10 lb boxes and have very little meat to speak of. My experience with them a few times is they are usually in 3-4 rib sections and it takes a lot of them to get a meal.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I was thinkin the same thing!!!Saw the ad and wondered is this another name for spares or St Louis style.All info appreciated!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    A long time ago, all Danish ribs where shipped to the US. We called them baby backs.

Mike
  • Hoss
    Options
    If that's a fact these are a real bargain!
  • Firetruck
    Options
    I guess that's why they are trying to get rid of them. thanks
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Check, thanks Mike
  • Hoss
    Options
    I'll make em open up a box before I buy!Thanks!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Hoss, that was years ago before people in the US knew what to do with them.

Mike
  • Check them out and let us know.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Thanks man,I knew there was a catch at that price! ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Run, don't walk as far away from them as you can....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Options
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I used to get them from Kroger years ago when I used a converted gasser. Were smaller ribs with less meat than a regular Baby back and in smaller sections. Fine to feed the "crew with" but not what I would show out with! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    I knew there had to be some CATCH.When I saw da price! :whistle: Thanks Guys!!!! :)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I ran across them at a new meat market I found in a neighboring town. The ones I bought were about 3/4 the size of the Hormel and Smithfield ribs I usually see in my Harris Teeter. They had a beautiful pink color, but there wasn't as much meat around each rib, and the taste wasn't any different. I wouldn't buy them again.
    DSCN3036.jpg
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    True. When I was a purchasing agent for the Hyatt Lake Tahoe, all BabyBacks I ever bought were from Denmark.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I bought a 10 lb box years ago, tried one and threw the rest out. -RP
  • Bgolf4me
    Options
    We used to sell them on add every now and then. They come in a 10lb. box loose wrapped. Very little meat and in my opinion not worth the time at any price.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Jodi, you got my curiosity going when you posted this, so I googled "Danish Ribs". Here's a few things I found. I thought they were kind of humorous. :)
    I won't ever be buying these.

This was a post on the Nat.'l BBQ Network.

Anyone ever seen these things at their local grocer?
    I saw a case of these boogers at my grocery store (6 slabs for @ $20)
    The box said they were spares....looked like small spares with no meat.
    Just wondering if anyone had seen these and what the heck makes a spare rib a "Danish Rib"??????

The reason those things are "imported" is because the Danes don't want that stuff over there; so they "export" them to us!!! I got suckered into purchasing those on two occasions (thinking the first was simply a bad mistake or something by the packer). They give new meaning to the phrase "where's the beef?". In this case, it's "where's the pork?".

If you hate money, buy this product!

leave em right where you found em .. they suck, pure, and simple

I heard they smell like fish when cooked

I could tell by looking at them that I didn't want to buy them.
    They couldn't even make the picture on the box look good.

Danish spares are nasty.

Nothing more that a box of freeezer burned bones.

You'll wind up with pork jerky on a stick

You can have right or you can have it right now...you choose.

Rather than buy the Danish ribs, just take a $20 bill and throw it into the firebox. Same basic effect, less the cleanup.

I remember several years ago when Danish ribs were in vogue, but no more.

Once, when I moved back to the South from California, I was out of work for a month or so. I saw ribs advertised for .99 cents a pound in 10 pound cases at the store for a Memorial day sale. I was used to this, for out in Cali, they would sell whole spare for this just to get you into the store on holidays. When I got to the store, I found that the ribs said "Product of Denmark". I bought 30 lbs. They were so ungodgly awful, that I thought I had just lost my knack for cooking ribs. They were tough, stringy, and freezer-burned. I was so poor I ate nearly all of those nasty things.

Obviusly, due to the name "Danish Ribs" an alarm went off in your head, that is good. I would give them the same scrutiny as I would the following:

Genuine South Dakota Clam Chowder
    French-Style Chittlins
    Old Fashioned Schenectady Brisket
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the yankee smoke house in newhampshire sells them, when you get them youd sware somebody cooked them, then ate them, then recooked and sauced them, then served them too you. great place to eat, just dont order the danish ribs :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Rib brisket is what I have seen as Danish ribs at KMart.
    The part that is trimmed of for St Louis style ribs. Which is my favorite part, the more bone the more flavor.
    Emil
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Check, thanks Wayne
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Hmmm, looks like the size of a large dog. :sick:
  • Firetruck
    Options
    I recon they didn't like them too much. :laugh:

Looking forward to OKCya there.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Those look better than the normal ones. normally they are all cut up into pieces. GARBAGE