Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enough with all the math already

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry to cause such a fuss. I thought my question earlier today was a simple one.

How many pounds of Butts do I need to feed 60 people for lunch?

I can't find a calculator anywhere in the house and
It's been a long time since 10th grade math for me.

I got answers ranging from 25 to 45 pounds. (I'd rather have too much than not enough.)

So let's make it multiple choice...

40 lbs is a) way to much.
b) not enough.
c) just about right.
d) none of the above.

KISS method works good sometimes. :unsure:

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    60 little girls or 60 drunken curlers? It makes a difference, you know.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    b) Drunk Curlers.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I think it is a bit too much. I suggested about 30 lbs for the following reason:

1. 60 people divided by 1/3lb meat per person = 20 lbs of cooked meat. If you expect 40% shrink, then you need to start with 33 lbs of raw meat

2. 60 people divided by 1/4lb meat per person = 15 lbs of cooked meat. With 40% shrink, you need to start with 25 lbs of raw meat.

3. Split the difference and you are aroudn 30 lbs of raw meat.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Now is that raw or cooked lbs? There is the variable loss factors. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Mike

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. ;)
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Figure 7oz per person....that gives extra for those that eat more...but a lot will eat less...especially if these are gonna be bbq sandwiches.

So(btw, that computer you are on has a calculator):

7oz x's 60 = 420

420oz divided by 16 ounces per lb = 26.25lbs

26.25lbs x's 1.35(35% cook down for butts, more for shoulders) = 35.5.

SO, basically the answers you got, 25 and 40, are both right.....just the 25 is COOKED WEIGHT, but buy 35-40lbs.....depending on if you want a little extra.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    1/2 pound pork sammies are pretty darn huge.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I know.....but I hadn't read the first thread to know if it was sammiches or dinner style. I have done bbq with sides for new years and we ate much more then the average 5oz that you would put on a sammich. Standard BBQ sammiches, here in the south, are small=4oz, large=6oz+.

Just don't want him to run out......if math is hard......figuring out how to deal with running out will really blow his GOV's mind. Kidding GOV. ;)

Plus, figuring 7oz per person is easier than trying to figure what percentage will want a second sandwich and then doing a whole nother math equation, lol.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it......that's what I always say..... B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

60 people ÷ 1.6 = 37.5 lbs raw.

2.4 works for me.
    60 ÷ 2.4 = 25 lbs raw. I do have beans with that.

To answer your question and you being safe with no sides.
    "c".

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Tim,

If I were doing the cook, I would go with about 40 pounds of raw, bone-in butt.

60# with 60% yield = about 24# cooked, deboned meat.

At 3 sammies per pound, 24# will feed 72 people, allowing for some seconds and maybe a little left over?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    ?????That math stuff is per serving.I'm thinkin curlin guys gonna want more than a servin on a dinky bun.AT LEAST 40 lbs.with sides.It is better to have leftovers than to be the stingy guy who would'nt cook enough!!!!! :whistle: I had rather have twice as much as I needed than to be short 1 sammy. :unsure: It reheats well! ;)
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Depending on the size of Butts you can find.....just get ever how many it takes to get 35-40lbs of raw, bone-in pork butt.

Come back and tell us how those numbers work......they won't let you down.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Oh damn....I forgot it was multiple choice

C
  • eggineric
    Options
    The only calculator that I can find in my house is on my computer. I always know where that one is!!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Just checked my go-to guide; "Food for 50" by West, Shugart & Wilson. This is my bible whenever I have catered and have found it an excellent source.
    Although a bone-in Butt is not listed, Table 1.1: Amounts of food A.P (as purchased) shows me a 20 to 25 lbs. range for boneless, with 25 lbs. being right for a group of drunken curlers ;) .
    Comparing bone in and boneless rates on other roasts from the table and calculating the number to be feed upward from 50 to 60.....
    I know, I know....Enough numbers already!!!
    None the less...Running on that base, I would go with a minimum of 35 lbs. and would error on a bit higher side.
    Soooo....It's "C".
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I just got a newsletter from Bill Cannon, who is the maker of Texas BBQ Rub and is a competition BBQ cook. Here are his estimates for a variety of meats.

1-12 pound brisket cooked should serve 15 to 20 people
    1 - 6 pound pork butt should serve 12 to 15 people
    1 - whole rack of ribs (not St Louis cut) figure 2 bones per
    person so a full rack of 13 bones will feed 6 people
    1 - St Luis cut rack of ribs figure 2 to 3 bones per person so it
    will feed 5 to 6 people
    1 - whole rack of pork baby back ribs figure 3 bones per person so
    4 to 5 people
    1 - whole smoked chicken will serve 2 to 4 people
    1 - smoked ½ chicken will serve 1 to 2 people
    1- smoked chicken quarter will serve 1 to 2 people
    1 - smoked chicken breast will serve 1 to 2 people
    For smoked fish figure about 6 oz per person
    For smoked chicken wings figure about 4 to 5 wings per person
    For a whole prime rib roast - 12 pounds figure 15 to 20 servings
    1 pork tenderloin (weighs approx 1 ½ pounds) serves 3 to 4 people
    1 pork loin (weighs approx 10 to 12 pounds) will serve 20 to 30
    people

Note: these are approximate and will change depending on the sides
    that you are going to be serving with the meats. These numbers
    assume you will have 2 sides of potatoes and beans. You should
    also have some kind of bread that you will be serving with this.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Crimsongator wrote:
    I think it is a bit too much. I suggested about 30 lbs for the following reason:

1. 60 people divided by 1/3lb meat per person = 20 lbs of cooked meat. If you expect 40% shrink, then you need to start with 33 lbs of raw meat

2. 60 people divided by 1/4lb meat per person = 15 lbs of cooked meat. With 40% shrink, you need to start with 25 lbs of raw meat.

3. Split the difference and you are aroudn 30 lbs of raw meat.

I agree with that, with two comments:

1. Leftovers are not a bad thing with pulled pork! :woohoo:

2. It makes a difference if you are talking bone-in or boneless.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The answer is C.

My biggest cook was (4) +/-8lb butts and the intent was to produce at least 60 sammies. it did and that was close to 30 lbs- so go for 40 to be safe and maybe have some leftovers.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I don't remember your original post but it depends on how hungry they are, how many sides or other things you have to eat, how many men/women/children. Here is a link to help you out: How Much Meat? Good luck. (For point of reference, 30 pounds of uncooked butt seemed to handle about 45 hungry women in a homeless shelter.)
    The Naked Whiz
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    What kind of buns are you using? Whole wheat buns are a bit heavier than white bread, therefore you'd need less pork.

What type of bolts are you planning to use to raise the height of your second rack (or is it grate)? Zinc plated offer some advantages over galvanized, but also have some disadvantages. I can't remember any of them, but they do.

I pick C, but by now I am guessing you don't care about my choice.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Some of these threads are highly entertaining. Thanks for asking this. I bet your pork is gonna be good.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Mornin' Tim,
    Here's 33 1/3 U.S. Pounds of pork butt, bone in on large BGE

P6190236.jpg
    P6200240.jpg

pulled (bones and fat pockets removed)

P6200243.jpg

P6200242.jpg

link to result's post with yield of 15 #s after pulling with liberal sampling on my part :blush:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=668360&catid=1
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    are those weights before (purchase weights) or after (cooked weights)?
    Thanks B)
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The easiest way is to take the number of people and divide by 2. That gives the amount of raw butt for a normal crowd. You may want to increase the amount if:
    1) you have large eaters
    2) you do really good BBQ and therefore people will eat more than normal
    3) you would be very embarrassed if you ran out
    4) you want some left over for yourself

For 60 people, 30 pounds should do.