Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker is delivered!!

Options
Plumbr44
Plumbr44 Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my friends.. It came today just as John's wife promised it would when she personally called me on Sunday. I think she said a bunch of them were going out, and more are due to go out soon after. She was a sweetheart! Now I'll have to find some sort of bridge adapter to play with it. Saw one at Best Buy for a hunnerd bucks, but I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there. Luckily, my Egg rests real close to the house so I might run a CAT5 line out to the patio and install an outlet right in the side of the house, too. That will be handy when I talk myself into a Guru unit, heh.

All in all, I would say it was about 20 days from phone call to bliss. I can't complain at all... I am DVR-ing that Pitmasters show on Thursday the 28th on TLC featuring the Stoker (thanks again, Lightningbolt). I know his business spiked once that show aired. I hope to fidget with it this weekend if I get all my homework out of the way before then. Those professors need to realize that there are better things to do with free time than homework. I'm hoping my Cisco networking professor will give me extra credit for configuring this, but I will further tempt him with some low and slow goodies from the result of my networking efforts.

Comments

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Tell us about your first cook with it.
  • Can you use one of these without a network? I'd like to get one of these for my cabin, but don't have internet up there.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The unit can be used and controlled from the unit box.
    It takes a few toggles to set it up. As Plumbr44 said above you can also just run a network cable from the control box to your laptop or desk top computer in your cabin. You can also hook up a wireless box to the control box and send the singal to your laptop in your cabin. Lots of option,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Yes, it works stand alone as well as LAN. More things to play with when connected to the computer.

There is also the DigiQII which also works well. The DigiQII will not hook up to the computer.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Well Congratulations.

If you don't care about network speed while using the stoker you can get a 'B' router for almost nothing. 'G' are pretty cheap also. Hawking, Belkin and several others are usually available pretty inexpensive.

Make sure you can burn the firmware to the specific router before you buy any of the routers though.

GG
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    I was going with a bridge over a router, does that matter, burn-wise?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am a long way from being very IT savy but the stoker really doesn't care if you use a bridge, client bridge, access point and several other terms/devices.

The Stoker has to receive an IP address which usually comes from the router.

Using the DD-WRT burn the routers can be used as a bridge/client bridge/access point and on...

Kent
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    If you get a bridge you should be good to go as it will attach as a client to your existing wireless router.

These are also often sold as wireless game adapters to connect X-box, Wii, etc. consoles to a home wifi network

I think he was talking about flashing an inexpensive router with ddwrt firmware, to replace the routers original operating system, then configuring it to bridge.
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    You can also get adapters that work as a bridge to hook it up wirelessly to your network (mentioned above), or to have it work remotely/independent(eggfest?)and have it broadcast to your phone or PC without internet.

There is another smoker site with allot of info on hooking this thing up.

Takes work, but people are doing it.

For geeks, it's the bomb........
  • Rhino
    Rhino Posts: 39
    Options
    I bought the cisco bridge from Best Buy (had a $100 gift card from Christmas!) It took a couple of days playing around withit to get it all up and running using stokerlog, but it works great. I ran a 20 hour test over night at my desk and am currently running a test outside that has gone 6 hours so far. I got tweeter working too! It's a very cool device.
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    Congrats! I know you will enjoy it as much as I have already. Looking forward to hearing about your cooks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Avocados, I am pretty sure mine is set up as a client. I am thinking I have some setting wrong. My client bridge allows a the stoker to read fine through the main router.

However, if I connect a notebook to the client bridge (cat5) along with the stoker, the notebook can see the stoker but the notebook can not see the other computers on the LAN (router side). The computers on the router side can see (read and or write) the notebook and stoker just fine.

I am wondering if the ddwrt needs to be configured as an Access Point.

As for the Stoker the set up was pretty easy and works great.

GG