Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not all pork is created equal

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This week I have been doing 60 pounds of pork for pulled pork. There are a couple of things I knew but this week pointed them out once again.

First, butts and picnics are not the same. Now we all know that but butts were going for $2.29/pound and picnics were going for $0.89/pound so I picked up 5 picnics to go with the 2 butts I already had. The picnics had a lot more waste (skin, fat, gristle and bone) than the butts. While I spent a lot of time pulling the picnics by hand, the butts went fast. The butts only had one blade bone. There was little fat and gristle was almost non-existent. The picnics had one large bone and one smaller bone. There was a lot more gristle and I had to constantly pull out ligaments and other stringy waste. From some 43 pounds of picnic, I got about 19 pounds of meat. From the 17 pounds of butts, I got right at 10 pounds.

Second, even all butts are not equal. I had two butts - one 7.5 pounds and one 9.5 pounds. I cooked them at the same time and my plan was to check on the smaller butt and when it reached 195 I would pull it and then start checking the larger one. After 20 hours, my 7.5 pounder reached 195. I then immediately checked the 9.5 pounder and was very surprised to find it at 206.

The meat from each is very good. I think the butt is a bit more tender but the picnic meat is certainly tasty.

Comments