Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips and advice for my first Boston Butt

Options
MountainGriller
MountainGriller Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm excited. I'm going to Sam's Club tomorrow to buy a Boston Butt.
My plan is to make pulled BBQ.
I'm cooking it on Thursday. What is the setup for the BGE - how much lump, what dome temp, how many hours per pound, what type of rub and the done temp.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Biggin
    Biggin Posts: 1
    Options
    Follow Elder Wards recipe on the forum. I did it for the first time last week and it turned out perfect. All instructions for lump,time,tempand set up are included. ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Butts typically come 2 to a pack from the WHSE clubs. Go 250ish until 195-200 internal, anywhere from 12-18hrs. Rub with any available BBQ rub.
    Plate setter legs up, drip pan, grid, butts.
    Good Luck. :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Don't sweat it too much, it is a pretty easy cook. Hoss gave you a good link to follow. I use different rubs usually Tony's or Bad Byron's Butt Rub for my butts just because I cook a lot of butts and these seasons are good and easy to find. I like Pecan or Hickory chunks but then again it is a personal preference thing. Fill your lump all the way up to the fire ring with a few of your wood chunks buried in with the lump. If you are getting the twin pack at Sam's plan on a 10-12 hour cook at 250 degrees. Some times they do take a little longer. Enjoy :)
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    Thanks to each one of you. I appreciate the advice.
    I can't wait to get started.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Good advice so far.

If they are boneless (I don't know about Sam's, but Costco's are), I like to tie them up a bit with butchers twine so that they have a bit more even thickness.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Sams will be 2 butts per pack.
    - try to find two butts in package about same size and shape, 6 to 8 pounds for each butt
    - bring home wash under running water and smell for freshness. no bad odors after the rinse.
    - trim small fat pieces but leave big fat cap on.
    - use plenty of rub. if you like, coat butts with thin mustard layer to hold rub better. work rub into butts good.
    - plenty of lump in egg, into fire ring
    - set up indirect
    - add couple junks of pecan, oak or hickory for smoke, bury couple chunks in lump and throw one on fire when adding the butts.
    - give the egg good hour to stabilize temp and smoke before adding butts
    - 235 to 275 dome temp is good
    - set butts on grid with fat cap down
    - resist the urge to peak under the dome for at least first 8 hours.
    - smoke till 195ish internal temp or when bone feels like you can pull it out.
    - pull off, foil and set in cooler with towels for about one hour.
    - pull and enjoy.

butts003copy.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    what they said

jesus that bark looks awesome!