Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seven pounds of jalapenos

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cleaned, cored and sliced. We will make Sweet Pickled Jalapenos. It took about 2 hours to prep them and then Ginny will put them in pickling lime, cook them and put in jars. In a few days we will have some deeelicious Sweet Pickled Jalapenos...

001-38.jpg

002-41.jpg

003-39.jpg

Into the pickling lime

006-34.jpg

Now we wait for 3 days and then we will have the finished product.

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Kim that looks fantastic....hope you didn't cry too much :laugh: ......next time we meet I'd really like to taste them....care to share the method??
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    7 lbs. of jalapenos......that's a lot of peppers :silly: , but I'm sure you'll be out of them after the Superbowl! Do you add anything to make them sweet? Or do you just use pickling lime? Can't wait to see the pics in 3 days.
  • Beautiful! I just finished lunch, but those shots still make my mouth water :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Dang, hope your fingers didn't burn up. Or eyeballs.
    Look forward to the finished product.

Mike
  • :woohoo: :evil: :whistle: :ermm: :side:
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
  • Wow that is a batch of Jalapenos.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I will work for Jalepeno's.
  • What does the lime bath do? I just normally get some vinegar, water and salt heated up with dry herbs to hydrate the herbs and toss them into jars. I don't even do the sterilization thing with the jars either. Figure the salt + vinegar keep things fine.
  • vidalia1
    Beli,

I will definetley have some to share at Eggtoberfest. The sweet hot combo is delicious.

Here is the recipe:

Here is a recipe we use to make Sweet Cucumber Chips...I just substituted the jalapenos for cucumbers.

Ingredients:

7 #'s of jalapenos or pickling cucumbers
    2 cups of pickling lime
    2 gal water

Mix lime and water thoroughly then pour over jalapenos...soak for 24 hrs...then drain & wash off lime...cover with fresh water and rinse...change the water every hour for 3 hours...then drain

In a seperate container mix 5 lbs of sugar, 7 cups of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 small box of whole pickling spice (tied in a bag), 4 sticks of cinnamon, 2 tsp salt, bring to a boil and pour over jalapenos and let stand overnight. Then cook for 35 minutes at a soft boil. Wash the jars and put pickled jalapenos in jars & seal. Seal jars & turn jars upside down to set seal. Let sit for 24 hours. Then eat & enjoy.
  • vidalia1
    Chris,

The lime bath crisps up the jalapenos like pickles. This is a pickle recipe that we have converted to jalapenos.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Thanks Kim and Ginny, can't wait to try these!!!!
  • I think I probably a half pound of Kim and Ginny's pickled jalapenos over philly cream cheese at Fidel's house before Eggtoberfest. I can tell you that they are absolutely outstanding.

Thanks for the recipe Kim. Where are my gloves and goggles?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    TKS Kim can't wait!!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    WOW!

I think Bubba Tim needs a new category!! :lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks Kim and Ginny for a terrific recipe! I hope I can find that pickling lime.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • vidalia1
    Molly,

Look at www.mrswages.com for all of the pickling items you need.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Aha! Thank you Kim!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Sounds amazing!! I might have to try it.

Matt
    Denver
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    The jalapenos look outstanding. My Sister in Law makes fabulous lime pickles, so I imagine these add more complexity and heat. Hope I get a chance to sample them some time in the future. :woohoo: I'm too immersed in beermaking right now to take up canning.