Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks! Mrs. Puj's Apple Upside-down cake

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
AppleCakeCandles.jpg
<p />Thanks to Mrs. Puj, and those who steered me to her recipe. For the girls' 9th brthday, I decided to do this upside down thang, and lemme tellya it was purty good! I did not do the rum/maple syrup drizzle, but instead made home-made whipped cream.[p]Main lesson learned was always wait for the cake to cool completely befor adding birthday candles. By the time I grabbed the camera, the candles (in the shape of a "9") had completely melted below the surface of the cake. Below is a picture of my "fix".....even though we had blue gobs of wax all through the inside of the cake! Does wax have beneficial fiber?[p]UpsideDownCake.jpg[p]This recipe is a winner and, apart from peeling and slicing a bunch of apples, it was pretty easy.
Happy thursday!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Looks great Chris! What recipe did you finally end up using?[p]Happy birthday to the girls!
    Tonia
    :~)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    tell the girls HAPPY BIRTHDAY from one of their biggest fans. . ..lets see. . . 9 plus 9, hey stack em up and you have an 18 year old!!! LOL . . ..[p]S o
    H appy
    I ts
    T hursday[p]max[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    QBabe,
    I used the one Slagameter posted....I assume that is the official Mrs. Puj version. I did add one more egg though...but otherwise did exactly as instructed.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. Will pass them onto Jenna and Kara when they get home from school!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Tanx Max! Thankfully your formula just doesn't stack up. LOL.
    Glad it is thursday too, but watch your language!
    Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]GREAT job Chris..... Looks FANTASTIC![p]Wish those 2 little gems of yours a most happy day for me.[p]Bob

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    NINE years old already?? Turn that cake around--they can't be any older than six. Wish them a Happy Birthday from me.
    See you soon,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Thank you Bob! Will do.
    I talked to your son last night at length. Sounds like you done brought him up right, as he has the itch to take his medium egg out to the mountains! I see he knows what is important in life.
    Great thursday onya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gretl,
    Yep..hard to believe. And, thanks to my pal Max, I am reminded they are half way to 18!!
    See you in a couple weeks!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl,[p]hi to you and yours.[p]You guys showing up for Eggfest?[p]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I don't know if'n wax has any beneficial fiber or what not..on accounta I don't go anyway near nuttin what's made of wax no more..evah since the great town dump incident of 1977..when I was insulted by a wax object of ill repute..[p]It started out a great summer day..on accounta momma announced we wuz gonna go to the dump to get some things what we can build a fort outta..them dump divin days is always great..and I had no reason to think that this one would not be the same..till my brother Mike played a horrible trick on me..as is usually the case.[p]As as we got there..we seen a giant cardboard box what used to hold a fridge..you see somethin like that...and if'n you got a ginat cranium..your heart just plum skips a beat..cause you know you'll be able to climb inside that darned thing without leavin your giant cranium exposed to the elements..we sure was excited that day I'll tell you that..and my brother Mike bein the oldest and wisest of the bunch..took first dibs on climbin inside that box..and the rest of uf just lined up behin him..waitin our turn..me bein the last in line.[p]It was then that things went so horribly wrong for the Stump..for within a second of Mike bein in that box..he stuck his head back out..and he tells me he found a football..and he said "run Stump and I'll throw it to you" and I started running away from the box..when I looked back..and seen him climbin outta that box..he yelled out "Go long Stump go long...banana in...BANANA IN!!"..and just then.. he hurled this newfound dump toy..and as I seen it comin towards me...I started thinkin maybe Mike's football throwin skills ain't what they should be..on accounta that football was wobblin like you read about..but then..as it got closer..I thought maybe the prollem was not so much Mikes throwin abilities..as it was the fact that the darned football was deflated...and then...as it came right at me..wobblin and turnin as it came...[p]It dawned on me..that Mike had played a dirty trick on me what I won't soon forget....for coming right at me..I could tell...altogether entirely too late I might add..was not a football at all...matter of fact..it was a non-aerodynamic fleshtone colored wobblin manthing replica (albeit hairless) of unusually large proportions..bearing down on me like there was no tomorrow. It was at this point that I realized..my entire family had stopped to watch what was going to happen..except for Mike..he was laughing so hard he was doubled over in pain.[p]You see somethin like that comin at you..fast as can be..you gotta get a lot of thoughts goin real quick before you decide how to proceed. My first thought was that even though I was surprised as all get to to be put in this position..I prolly should't open my mouth to scream....I'm sure..I told myself..that there'd be plenty of screamin to be doin after that there fake football is all done comin at me..the second thing I thought of..is I shouldn't prolly turn around and duck hopin that thing missed me alltogether...on accounta from what little exposure I'd had to these kinda things..mostly from poppas prized magazine collection..even though them things had only the one eye..it still apparently had pretty good aim..so's I figured if'n it seen something what it wanted to land in..it'd prolly make it there..which would be good for nobody..most specially me..though something tells me Mike woulda sure thought of this as icing on his cake. [p]The third thing I thought of..is that I should prolly close my eyes..I always wondered what momma meant by sayin if'n I played with somethin like this too much..I could go blind..but in that instant..with that god awful thing bearin down on me like you read about..I knew too clearly what she meant....so the very first thing I done was close my eyes real tight..then..knowin I done everything I could..I stopped short..and quickly rememberin back to poppas magazines on apparently how one should properly hold this offendin football of ill repute..I reached out with both hands in front of me..one in front of the other..curlin them fingers around ..each formin a giant circle....and slowly..I felt that one eyed wax football enter this area..the force of the impact slowly moving these football catchers towards my forehead..and just when it felt like I would escape being bonked in the head..that wax footballs built in lower stops..slammed against the back of my football catchers..causing them to lurch forward..and that nasty wax football..just barely pinged me on the forehead. [p]But just as I opened my eyes..and seen I was bein started back at..and I realized I'd done caught this football..I heard Mike yellin for me to run to the endzone..and with great pride..before I realized what I was doind..I tucked that footballs done under me left armpit..and I wrapped my left arm around it..and I ran like there was no tomorrow....and I was a good halfway to seven points when I done realized what it was exactly I was doin...[p]I will nevah forget that day..the day Mike done ruined dump divin and football for me forevah...but I'm not sure which I miss the most.[p]Ahhh...the life of a Stump[p]StumpBaby
  • Smokey Bob
    Options
    Nature Boy, That is fantastic looking. Do you think a 9X 13 pan would work in place of the cast iron skillet?[p]SB

• Gretl
    Options
    char buddy (for now),
    Yep; I just came back to this site to sign up. Not sure what I'm cooking, but Ken Stone turned me on to some really super ABTs. That'll be one offering. Can't wait! I'll sign up now. See you SOON![p]Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Dan has his learner's permit now. Clear the roads! Watch out for that screamin' black VW bug![p]Hey, wait a minute...that makes me HOW OLD?
    G

• Gretl
    Options
    char buddy (for now),
    Okay, I'm officially signed up. I'm not sure if Dan can come, though; we'll see. Wow, there are more than 60 registered! Should be a whole lot of fun.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Looks great! I couldn't find the recipe. Would you please post the link. Thanks.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Here ya go...[p]Wess

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Look forward to finally meeting you and your family![p]Tonia
    :~)

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Ahhh the memories. Good times, good times.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    LOG,[p]Rat huntin' at the dump just ain't the same without you boys for beaters...[p]Ken
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks. I'm going to try making it using that recipe but with pineapple, a family favorite.[p]Spring Chicken

• Gretl
    Options
    QBabe,
    Likewise, Tonia. I can't wait!
    Cheers,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Leroy!
    I see Wess done pointed ya right. Hope things are well down in Tejas!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Ya know Bob....
    I dunno. Alls I do know is that this is the first time I ever have done sumthin like this, and the cast iron pan worked beautifully. I would guess a glass pyrex dish would give you somewhat of a similar result, but that with a thin metal pan, you would need to cook a bit lower to prevent the outside from burnin. But this is new territory fer me....so maybe someone else will jump in with some better advice.[p]Don't see any reason you would notice a diff between round and rectangle.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Wouldn't a wax manthing replica encounter the same problems as the candles when it is put in its place??? What are they doin' makin them thangs outta wax anywho? You need some good heat and friction resistant rubber.....do you not??[p]Hell...mebbe that splains why it was in the junkyard.[p]Thanks for providing much food for thought.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gretl,
    Pass this message onto your son:[p]Go Dan!!!! You bad![p]Some reason I can picture him in a black bug. Perfect.
    See ya 'round the corner.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com