Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at fried rice

Options
cleinen
cleinen Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
img00150.jpg

img00151a.jpg

img00152.jpg

It was good but I thought it was a bit plain tasting. I think I cooked to much at once also.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Keep trying, mine seems too mushy if I crowd the pan. Below is a good thread about making fried rice. Read through all of the responses, especially with Thirdeye.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=627740&catid=1
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • outrageous
    Options
    looks good, fried rice has been my project for a couple of weeks or so. i still say the dry rice is the key, day old in the frig, it has to be dry. i also try to season my meat when cooking, lot of pepper and lot of soy sauce. the link in the other reply looks good too. will try some of their sauces. another thing i learned on here. have the wok super hot, seem to do better.

82587880.jpg

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I prefer shrimp fried rice. If you would like that, I'll post the recipe.

fried-rice.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cleinen
    Options
    Sure. I live in North Dakota so it is easier to find good chicken than good shrimp. :laugh:
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    8 ounces Shrimp, small, shelled and deveined
    ½ teaspoon Salt, kosher
    Black pepper, freshly ground
    ½ teaspoon Corn Starch
    2 tablespoons Peanut Oil, divided
    3 Eggs, beaten
    2 stalks Green onions , minced
    4 cups Rice, leftover, grains separated well (day old, kept in refrigerator)
    ¾ cup Peas and Carrots, Frozen, defrosted
    1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
    1 teaspoon Sesame Oil

METHOD
    1 In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, pepper and cornstarch. Let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature. Heat a wok on high heat. When the wok is hot enough for a bead of water to instantly sizzle and evaporate, add just 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and swirl to coat wok.

2 Add the shrimp, quickly spreading out around the cooking surface area so that they are not overlapping. Let fry, untouched for 30 seconds. Flip over and let the other side fry for 30 seconds, or until about 80% cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok onto a plate, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible.

3 Turn the heat to medium, let the wok heat up again. Add the eggs, stirring in a quick motion to break up and scramble the eggs. When the eggs are almost cooked through (they should still be slightly runny in the middle), dish out of the wok into the same plate as the cooked shrimp.

4 Use paper towels to wipe the same wok clean and return to high heat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling to coat. When the oil is very hot, add the green onions and fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add in the rice and stir well to mix in the green onions throughout. Spread the rice all around the wok surface area and let the rice heat up, untouched until you hear the bottoms of the grains sizzle, about 1-2 minutes. Use the spatula to toss the rice, again spreading the rice out over the surface of wok.

5 Drizzle the soy sauce all around the rice and toss. Add the peas and carrots, the cooked eggs, shrimp and sesame oil, tossing to mix the rice evenly with all of the ingredients. Let everything heat back up again, until the rice grains are so hot they practically dance! Taste and add an additional 1 teaspoon of soy sauce if needed.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• outrageous
    Options
    gary,,,, speading the rice out like you described, does it make it firm up while it is cooking.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I think it just gives it a more even cook, as opposed to it bunching and not getting uniformly cooked .... so the answer is probably, yes. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• MileHighMatt
    Options
    Looks good!
    What kind of wok do you have and how do you like it?

Matt
    Denver
  • cleinen
    Options
    I ordered mine from the wok shop. Its just a 16 inch cast iron round bottom. It was my first time using it.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That looks pretty good to me. The great thing about Fried Lice is that there is no way to cook it wrong. Just add stuff you like and there she is.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Looks pretty good! Did you add Oyster, hoisin, or soy sauce?
    That's the same wok I have and I love it.You will too.
    Go to the libtary and check out "The Breath of a Wok"
    And "The foods of Vietnam".
    I think Vietnamese stirfry is tastier than Chinese..Just my two cents.
  • cleinen
    Options
    I put hoisin in. I think I should have used soy sauce and some hot chili sauce too. Also next time I will season the chicken. I didn't this time and it was probably part of my issue. It was really good just not as good as it could be.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    @cblii.  I got the recipe off the internet, and it wasn't written for the BGE.  I usually post the link, but apparently, I had lost the origin.  Disregard that instruction.  The eggs will just cook a tad quicker.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks pretty derned good, cb.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.