Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooling egg down

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a great day with my new egg,loaded it up real good with wal-mart lump,temp got to 400 in a hurry,baked two loaves of white bread,which came out real good. Started all this at 1PM put a Cornish hen on at 4:30 took off at 6 PM. No compaints anywhere on bread and Cornish.
Temp from Bread thru Chicken stayed pretty much 350 t0 400. Question how do you cood egg down,7:00 PM.
alh

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    A.L. HANDLEY,
    Are you trying to cool it down to cook something else or just extinguish the fire? The best way to kill the fire is to use the rain cap and, of course, close the lower vent. Because the ceramic mass of the egg has been heated to 400* for the better part of the afternoon, to "cool" it down to cook something at a lower temp will take a while because the egg retains the heat so well.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    A.L. HANDLEY,[p]you did bread first time out?
    even if its not your first time out but early in your eggin you should be commended. Most folks arnt that adventurous. HATS OFF TO YOU.

• JWITHELD,have been baking bread for over 50 years,so it really was muchof a chore with a good themometer. Thanks for the compliment. I just did plain old yeast white bread, next time I will do my sourdough. al