Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic "Newbie" Question

Options
The Barbeque Guy
The Barbeque Guy Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought and assembled my Big Green Egg last week but have a very basic question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. I still own and use a gas grill, a weber kettle grill and a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. When lighting charcoal, the rule of thumb was always to light it and use it when it was completely covered with ash. Do you handle it the same in the Green Egg or use the temperature as your gauge? So far the only things that I've cooked was steaks and chicken which all was done by direct heat. As soon as my temp was what I wanted, I'd cook the meat. I've noticed that there is still flames while I'm cooking. My concern is when I'd cook or smoke anything at a low temp. I'd worry that if I'd start as soon as it it was at 180-200 degrees that the fire would go out soon after I closed the vents a little bit because of the decreased air flow. Also how often do you have to check the temp and make adjustments to your vents? When you reach the desire temp do you shut it 1/2 way, 3/4 of the way to start? On my Smoky Mountain Smoker I was always able to get my temp to around 180 degrees and it would remain there the entire time. Many times I'd put a pork shoulder or a briscut on before I went to bed and let it smoke all night. Also my second question. When you open the egg to check your meat, do you leave the Dual Function Metal Top on? Any danger of it falling off when you lift the lid? What about the green ceramic lid, is it ever used during cooking? I just been putting it back on after I'm done and store the metal lid. Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if my questions are a little too basic.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    First of all WELCOME! When you first light your lump, you want to let it burn for about 30 mins to burn off the VOCs(Volatile Organic Compounds). Remember you are cooking in ceramic and it will hold the heat, much like a brick oven would. Get your egg to the temp you want and adjust the bottom and dome vent to stabilize(hold) the correct temp. After the smoke turns clear to an almost blue smoke, you are ready to cook.
    Unlike the briquettes you used in your other cookers, the lump will continue to burn slowly, and when you are through, you simply close the vents and the fire will go out, allowing you to use it again for the next cook.
    The ash will almost nothing because there is no filler in the true hardwood lump coal. Remember that once the egg gets to temp, it will take much longer to rdeuce the temp rather than increasing the heat. So don't overshoot your target temp. Hope this helps. If you need to, feel free to email me your contact info and I 'll be happy to discuss any questions you have. You'll do great!!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I had that same question when I started with the egg.

You don't wait for all the lump to turn gray. When doing a lo n slo, much of the lump will never get hot. Just start it in 2 or 3 spots, and as the temp approaches your desired temp, start shutting down the lower vent and the DFMT (daisy wheel).

Here are some pics of the openings at various temps, courtesy of Grandpa Grub:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746823&catid=1

You should also read here - tons of good info:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Welcome to the forum.

Richard
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Let's see if I can help at all -

1. Normally - after I light the egg, when the smoke goes clear or light blue - you're ready to go. This normally takes my egg about 10-12 minutes with the vents wide open. But - when I want to keep the temp down - I close the vents some and let the egg/lump get going a little slower. I just like easing temp up instead of down since the ceramic will hold heat and has to cool off too. Just my opinion...

2. I've never cooked under 200-225 but my small will hold that temp for many hours - and yes, I've done an overnight and all day cooks for 8-9 hours before pulling or adding some lump.

Now - the guys that have the medium, large, and XL can go alot longer due to more lump in the firebox...and might cook lower than 200-225 like I do.

3. Once I get my temp stable - I note the vents and let it go. As long as you have enough lump in the egg - shouldn't be a problem holding for seveal hours...but, I do check mine every hour or so. I'll adjust vents just slightly to get temp up or down a few degrees.

4. Yep - the top will come off sometimes. Just go easy when opening. Some intstall a little of the felt gasket inside the caps for a tighter fit. I guess I'm a lucky one - both my ceramic tope and daisy wheel fit great and I have no problems.

5. Both tops can be closed and left on when cooking. Many times - we've seared something then closed the top or put the ceramic top on and closed the lower vent about 1/2 way to roast or let meat cook to desired doneness. Just be careful when you open lid...make sure to burp it or you might get some flashback.

Folks - if I missed something - jump in...I'm sure there is plenty that I missed.

LJ
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Not too basic. Just stick around awhile and read the posts and you will learn bucketloads of egg info.

There is alot of experience here on the forum, Grandpas Grub does a post for newbies that gives you most of the basic stuff - someone will likely chime in with the link. You will get used to the size of the air vent opening along with the temperature you desire.

#1, allow the egg to maintain your target temp for 1/2 hour or so before you put your food on. You will use the temperature as your gauge. Yes, there will still be flames. If you have maintained your temp, it will go back to that after you put your meat on.

Clamp down your air flow approx. 50 degrees before your target temp and don't let it go over or else it will take a LONG time to cool down.

#2, I leave the daisy wheel on, it has never fallen off for me. Use the green ceramic one to clamp the air flow at the end of your cook.

There is a learning curve, but you will get it. You just need some experience with the egg and I'm sure you will love your cooking results.

Good Luck, BBQ guy

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Barbeque Guy

I'll try to help. First of all, Welcome to the forum. Second, let me direct you to a post that contains a list of very useful links that has been compiled by our member Grandpas Grub. Recipes, Links & Tips List is a great resource of information and is worth bookmarking.
    Some of the information you are looking for is in this list.
    "A guide to Vent Settings" is number 13 on the list and was also put together by Grandpas Grub.
    Another on is #14 (I think) "TNW how to place the DFMT" and is done by The Naked Whiz another great member, his site is outstanding.
    You will learn what settings produce what temperatures. When you fire up the egg you can open her up until your approaching your target temp. Before you get to your target temp, adjust the vents to where you will get the temperature you desire. If you go past the target temp it can take what seams like a long time to cool it off again. I'm sure others will chime in with more information.

I hope this helps,

Gator

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    since my newbiness is wearing off I can tell you all said so far is dead on. Two things that are most important:
    1-don't heat past your target on lo/slo. you end up chasing temp and that can be a pain in the shell.
    2-just jump in there and try it. I learned controlling temp by cooking. I have screwed up (burned up my gasket and $25 ribs, burnt bottom of my pizza, had some ashy tasting burgers from to much air blowing in bottom vent) but I learned a lot and now I think I got the hang of it. even going to make the cute little pizzas out of tortilla shells for my grandsons!
  • The Barbeque Guy
    Options
    You guys are great!!! I posted my original question while watching the Saints/Viking game on television during a break. I didn't expect to receive any responses until tomorrow. I was really surprised when I checked my E-mail and saw all the responses. I had seen so many forums that when a "Newbie" asked a basic question they would be flamed by the members. I've read all the responses and checked out the links. Now I'm ready to pull some ribs out of freezer and cook them tomorrow. Thanks again, I think I'll really enjoy and use this forum.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    And I replied while watching that same game.

Good luck tomorrow. Post some pics and let us know how it went.

Richard
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Here is the best advice I ever read!

When putting cold meat into an egg that has a stable temp of 250 degrees. The temp will drop. WALK AWAY!!!! Think of your oven that you Pre-Heat to 250. You never put in cold meat and bump up to 500 to get it back to 250. The temp will rise on its own and level out again at 250.

Good Luck!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    ashy tasting burgers from to much air blowing in the bottom vent? :huh:
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    All of the above is great advice. You will find this forum much more friendly and helpful that the WSM forum.

You can maintain a temp under 200 on an Egg without a Guru. I was able to hold a 190 - 200 dome temp for over two hours on Saturday while I smoked bacon. Be very careful bringing up the temp after lighting. Shut the vents down to about 1/4" bottom and 1/8" top when you get to 150. Watch the temp for about 15 minutes. If it does not go up to 200, open the vents incrementally until you get where you want to be.

Welcome, and good luck. Let us know how the ribs turned out.