Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Cooking?

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
NY Strips tonight - I used the same rub (and no mustard) that I used on the Memphis Sytle Baby Back Ribs from a few days ago - should be interesting![p]I also just put 6 lbs of sirloin tip roast (thinly sliced) in a marinate for a beef jerky cook tomorrow - it should be on the BGE by about 5:30am - jerky in the late afternoon.[p]What's everyone else cooking?[p]

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Gfw,
    Tomorrow we are going to attempt JSlot's ribs....the video motivated us. Not sure what else we will attempt...maybe a pork loin....or we may just jack-up the soldier to seer some steaks.
    The weather will be georgous tomorrow...will hit in the 80's....and we will make the best out of the first weekend after E2K!
    ST

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Gfw,
    See below.[p]Oh yeah, add some chicken breast sprinkled with limejuice and salt. Everything is going over the new Mesquite Lump.[p]Happy Cinco de Mayo,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Bulgoki tonight. Lots of leftover from last time that I freeze-vacuum-marinated. Last time they were cooked too long...this time, hot and fast. (they are very thin cuts).[p]Tomorrow I am having guests. Yeeeeeee Ha! Another chance to cook. Tossing up between ribs, or pizza.[p]Life IS grand. When does the diet start Gordon??
    You are truly enjoying in the meantime I can see!![p]Happy Friday
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Gfw,[p]No cooking tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to launch my new small Egg - probably with a couple of rib eye steaks.[p]Have a great weekend -[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Nature Boy - You had to ask. I turn 54 on Sunday and the diet starts on Monday. I currently tip the scales at 188 and am looking forward to about 175. [p]The BBQ will continue, it will be a variation of the Atkins/High Protien diet - however, the sugar, beer and wine will have to stop for a week or two. The big problem, no pizza, etc.[p]Have a great day!

• Gfw
    Nature Boy - You had to ask. I turn 54 on Sunday and the diet starts on Monday. I currently tip the scales at 188 and am looking forward to about 175. [p]The BBQ will continue, it will be a variation of the Atkins/High Protien diet - however, the sugar, beer and wine will have to stop for a week or two. The big problem, no pizza, etc.[p]Have a great day!

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    The first time cooking on a small was an interesting experience for me. Keep an eye on it, that baby really sears quickly compared to Mr. Big at the same temps. When Tim brought the pork chops over for lunch, I was surprised how quickly I charred them babies (much blacker than expected).[p]But Tim (char-king) was in heaven.[p]Have fun. Great Qing weather.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    05_01_0018_22_01.jpg
    <p />Cat, if ever ypu can't find rib eye steaks, have the butcher cut a boneless prime rib roast into steaks about 1 1/4 inches thick - GREAT!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Gfw,
    Give me a play-by-play on your jerky. We're going out searching for a grate this weekend so we can making some. Looking for inspiration!

• Nature Boy
    Gfw,
    Happy pre-lated birthday!!
    13 pounds is nothin'. You'll be there in no time.[p]Sorry about bringin' that up. I know you are havin' a blast right now.[p]Enjoy the steaks.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    MollyShark, watch tomorrow. I use 2 extra grids for the process - the cheaper the better. A minor modification to the recipe, I hope it works!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gfw,[p]No egging tonight. Strip steaks tomorrow with brisket starting tomorrow evening.[p]Have a great one.[p]Spin

• Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the advice. I'm going to start out with moderate (600) temps instead of going for the 4-digit ones! [p]I've already had the experience of searing my eyebrows; once was enough. ;-}[p]Cathy

• Cat
    Gordon, your pics are an inspiration. I'll be thrilled if my steaks look half that good.[p]Happy birthday![p]Cathy

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Gfw,
    Basic American hamburger tonight. Received my new Zassenhaus Pepper Mill the other day and I'm going to bathe the burgers with fresh ground tillicherry peppercorns and a little cajun spice. Also was fortunate enough to pick up a ten pound bag of fresh Vidalia onions this past weekend, so a nice thick slice will top things off!

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Gfw, this is going to be a "clean up the garage and downstairs" weekend. I have an 8 lb. butt rubbed in cajun, garlic, Prudhommes Pork&Veal Magic, Brucies Blend, Gator's Breath Cajun Salt, Balsamic vinegar, and grandmothers buttermilk. It's wrapped up tight in plastic wrap and smothered in ice in the ice chest. I will put it in the deep freezer tomorrow at 11 am. and pull it out and stuff it in the EGG at 3 pm. for a slow smoke and cook with pecan. Probably will be ready Sunday afternoon at around 2 or 3. I also have 4 game hens ready for a brine with juniper berries, bayleaves, Prudhommes Poultry Magic, fresh crushed black pepper, and Kosher salt. No,, no buttermilk for these kids. They are so young, if I use buttermilk on them,, by morning they would be baby chicks, or maybe ever eggs. You know how good that stuff works. They will either go on tomorrow early, or I may do some giant scallops wrapped in bacon tomorrow and EGG the chicks Sunday after the butt comes off. I have 6 gallons of grapefruit juice, 1 case of half-gallons of vodka, and my ice machine is in overdrive. It should be a good clean-up weekend,,, I have all the tools necessary for success. But don't worry,, I left the camera at work so you won't have to witness the carnage. Yall blow-it-out too! Ya never know how many weekends we have left.
  • King-O-Coals
    Nu-Guy, yeaaaaH! The vidalias are here again. I got a 10 lb. bag today myself. UMMMMMMMMMM!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    Burnt meat is never waisted here - Now I am not talking dried up old well done #%*@, I don't like that either but pink in the middle and black outside - perfect! Ahhhhhhhhhh[p]Tim >>> stop teasing me or invite me for lunch!!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Gfw,[p]Happy BDay! Healthful eating tonight: tuna on multigrain with soup on the side. Tomorrow, OTOH, I'm doing my first pork tenderloin. TimM was the inspiration. I don't have Char Crust, though, and I couldn't get my hands on any grains o' paradise, so I'm thinking mustard and a basic rub from Smoke and Spice.[p]I'm looking forward to it.[p]Cornfed
  • King-O-Coals
    Nature Boy, you guys know what an "abuser of ones internal organs" I am. I just had my semiAnnual checkup with bloodwork and the doc said, "whatever you are doing,, keep doing it." All my numbers were perfect. HA, can you believe it. The price of vodka, grapefruit juice, baby-backs, Boston Butts, pork loin, PorterHouse T-bones, and Lipitor keep crawling up due to my excess,, and my doctor loves it.. Life is truly good:^)

• King-O-Coals
    Gfw, I forgot to mention, I have lost 10 lbs. in 6 months,,, even with my egg-cesssive lifestyle. I stay pretty close to following the Sugar Busters Diet, except for the alcohol. I only drink beer on golf days. No white potatoes, no white bread or pasta either. Only whole wheat. I'm going on 51 and it looks like I may make it to 168 or so.

• Gfw
    King-O-Coals, don't really care how far I make it, as long as I enjoy the journey! Have a great evening!

• King-O-Coals
    Gfw, meeeeeee tooooooooo!

• Cat
    Cornfed,[p]Mustard & rub are great on tenderloins. So is a mix of Dijon mustard, olive oil & soy sauce. [p]Keep 'em medium rare...[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Cat,
    600/small = 850/large when it comes to searing power! Takes longer to get up to temp because of the small bottom vent, but it will get there.[p]Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    As Carlos Santana would say "you got an open invitation"!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Gfw, I have had some beef strips marinating for three days and am going to slow smoke them into jerky for my fishing trips. I am planning on 6-10 hours of slow smoke and then.. yaaaaaaaaaaaa! We're looking at almost three pounds of flank marinating in teriyaki and sugar , and red wine , with lots of hickory wood chips . Sound good ?

• Gfw
    Dave, sounds great. Just put mine on the BGE about 5 minutes ago. It's Jerky Day!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Gfw,
    Did a pork tenderloin last night, just like TimM did at Eggfest. It was great with a little Hunter's sauce on the side. Tonight it's ribeye steaks with Andria's sauce slathered all over them and tomorrow it's chicken wings with the Anchor Bar sauce that BBQFan1 brought to Eggfest. My Char Crust hasn't gotten here yet, dang it. I should be bulging by Monday.
    JimW

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JimW,[p]I think our boats are sailing in the same direction. I can't say enough good things about that sauce, and our tenderloin came out so ridiculously good tonight that it's hard to describe. My mom always complains that I cook so much at my apt but never share. Fortunately, I have some leftover tenderloin that will be shared tomorrow as an early mother's day gift.[p]A more tasty gift I could not imagine!
    Cornfed