Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt: Wrap in Foil Like a Brisket?

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys pull your butts early and wrap them in foil like is a common practice with briskets?[p]Thanks,[p]TRex

Comments

• Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    TRex,
    I do. And DR.BBQ teaches that way too!
    Ryan

• TRAILER MONKEY
    Options
    TRex,I have tried several different methods, but have found the "Elder Ward" method to be my favorite! I low and slow for about 18 hrs @ 200-225 to reach an internal temp of 190-195.
    , then foil wrap and place in an icechest for about 1 hour. I could not imagine it gettin much better!!

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Trailermonkey,
    I go to 200, and that seems to work for me. I put the finished product in a pan, cover it with tin foil, and then cover the whole works with pot holders and towels and let it just sit well covered for about an hour....Never tried using a cooler, but I know lots of members do it that way...too much of a hassle to drag out a cooler, and then set it up in the kitchen and listen to someone "yip" about it being in their way....if you know what I mean....[p]Mike in MN

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    TRex,
    I don't foil for a butt done on the Egg. Like others, I pull the butt at 190-ish, then foil and place in the cooler...not so much for taste as for convenience. I do however foil for butts done on my offset to limit the smoke and to aid in keeping them moist.