Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A brisket technique I'd like to try...

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone else read Saveur magazine?[p]A recent issue was adorned on the cover with Texas brisket.[p]There was a recipe included in the feature article which had a very interesting technique, one that I'd like to try on my Egg.[p]Was wondering if anyone had tried this.[p]After a certain amount of cooking time, the brisket is wrapped in foil for an hour or two.[p]Then, the foil is opened back up, but the brisket remains cooking on top of the foil, and the juices that accumulated in the foil remain in the bottom of the foil to be re-absorbed by the still-cooking brisket. [p]This seemed like a really interesting way to cook the brisket and I'm guessing it results in a super juicy and moist finished product.[p]I've always been able to get a very tender brisket off my Egg, but never to the degree of "wetness" that I've tasted before in real Texas BBQ joints. [p]Anyone tried this technique? Any tips? Does it work well?

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    mike,[p]I got that issue in the mail a couple weeks back and the article is very good. Saveur is a great publication.
    The Texas-Style recipe is much like the kind I've seen posted on the BBQ Forum and is written for a kettle grill.[p]If you'd like to try it on the egg I'd suggest following the times and temps and just apply them to the egg.... monitoring grate temp instead of the dome temp.
    I don't know if you'd need to use water in the drip pan but there are some folks here who swear by it.[p]Give it a go and report back to us...... I'd like to know![p]John

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    mike, Is this the recipe you mentioned?

[ul][li]Saveur magazine recipe[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    BeerMike,
    No it is not. The recipe printed in the recent issue was quite detailed in the cooking and timing process, and as was pointed out above, was specific for a kettle grill. It came from a texas bbq expert or so it said. [p]

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    mike,Got me thinking about something I fixed years ago (23!)...Denton Texas Barbequed Beef Brisket...it was very good. Glad you mentioned the article...brings back fond memories.[p]SB[p]Denton Texas BBQ Beef Brisket
    1/3 cup molasses
    1/3 cup prepared mustard
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 TB worchestershire sauce
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    3/4 cup wine vinegar
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 TB minced onion
    1 (4-6 lb.) beef brisket.
    Mix all ingredients except beef. Place meat and marinade in a large plastic bag...squeeze out as much air as possible. Place in a shallow pan and refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.
    Next day drain meat and reserve marinade. Grill over medium heat until browned on both sides. Grill direct for 30 min. turning and basting with reserved marinade several times. Remove from grill and wrap in heavy foil leaving room for marinade. Cut hole in top of foil and pourt in reserved marinade. Continue cooking for 1 1/2 - 2 hours more. (I would think indirect on the egg). Remove, let rest 10-15 min. in its own juice. Slice in thin diagonal slices.
    (Southern Living 1981)

• mike,
    It is a form of braising and I do know competition cooks that use it have won. Braising would be done by browning meat and place in a pan with liquid, covered and cooked at a low temp until fork tender.
    If you use the first portion of the cook in the pit as the browning stage and the wrap in the foil is the covered portion. By opening the foil for the last stage it gives you the correct texture and bark.
    Jim

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    mike,
    I have the same issue of Saveur and also looked at the recipe. Since I have a 12 or 13 pound brisket in my freezer...I am going to try it in the next few weeks. I'll let you know how it comes out. [p]P

• BeerMike,
    I didn't know old Jake Edwards ever gave out his secret. Many of lunches at Jakes on Baltimore in KC Beef sand and a glass of buttermilk. Golly what I wouldn't give fot this right now. al