Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRE OUT on Brisket this AM

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
6+lb brisket on overnight cook. 9-11pm steady dome @ 225-230deg. 6am this morning, FIRE OUT, internal meat @ 120-122deg. Re-started & steady dome @ 275deg. Internal temp @ 160deg. All I have read here in the last 2 hours puts me on the fence!!IS THIS A LOST CAUSE???

Thanks for your input :S

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The decision on whether to eat it is yours. I would probably continue with the cook myself, though in actuality there is no way to tell if the meat got to 140, or how long it sat below 140. If following food safety guidelines, the meat should be chucked.

For the next time, you should strongly consider waking up every couple hours or getting a guru. Sometimes the egg cruises through the night with no intervention, but it's a charcoal fire, and lots can happen.

Hope it helps. Sorry to hear about the mishap.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    NB is a PRO.Listen to HIM! ;)
  • Thanks for the input Chris
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    I'd keep on, but I'd also be VERY careful with that resting period. Don't give it a chance to sit lower than 140 at the surface. I mean, still foil it and rest it, but I wouldn't do it for hours like I sometimes do.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kind of you Hoss. Pro or not, food safety is a tough issue, and also very confusing. The rules can defy logic, but they are made to keep us from getting sick. My guess is the meat got above 140 and dropped quickly when the fire went out. If it were me, I would have checked the temp in the outer layers of the meat as well, and would have been able to tell how far it got by looking at the development of the bark. With that info (and based on who would be eating it) I would make the call.

Advising someone whether to throw meat out or not is always a challenge. As is cooking overnight with no intervention!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I'd probably continue the cooking.

One thing you should add to your wish list is a remote thermometer. For about $40 you can get a Maverick ET-73 which has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the grid temp. You can set alarms if you want or just check it a few times during the night. When I do a low and slow, I keep the display right next to my bed and check it a few times during the night. If all is well, there is no reason to get up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Precisely. get a maverick et-73 at the least. you can find them online at inexpensive prices. As mentioned, I am alarmed every time the chamber temp drops below a certain temp so I can immediately tend to the fire if needed. It will make life much simpler. However, a guru is nice too.
  • whtfarmer
    Options
    It won't help you any this time, but in the future you might bump your dome temp up a bit. I usually shoot for 250 to 275. That seems to prevent losing the fire to some degree.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You are exactly right.Makin that call is tough if you are not there with them during the cook.I was defering to you because you have WAY more experience than I.That's why I recommended taking your advice.The LAST thing I would want is for someone to become ill by following my advice.