Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another clean burn question

llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys, I posted the other day about doing a clean burn. what i wanna know is can i load it with lump. put my grid on top of the fire ring, put my daisy wheel on top of that then put my plate setter on legs down light it off and let it go?

I just want to make sure i dont screw anything up lol :laugh:
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Ilrick....If it is a porcelain coated grid I don't recommend it. We ruined one this way. May be better just platesetter with the dfmt on green feet, and wash the grid by hand. Just my two cents.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What happened to the grid you ruined?
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Agree with LC - don't put the grid in. I warped a grid (non-BGE grid) doing a high temp burn with a stone on it.

Also, to get high temp, leave the DFMT (daisy wheel) completely off, and the lower vent all the way open. It will get over 700, so if you gasket is the standard one, it may get ruined. I use the rutland gasket, so high temps don't affect the gasket.

Richard
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    I'd leave my DFMT out of there as well. I think they are a bit easier to keep set when they are a bit gunked up.

One warning though, I lost the gaskets on both of my eggs doing cleaning burns. No matter, I never replaced either of them and can't tell a difference in performance, but thought that I'd give you a heads up.
  • llrickman
    Im not real worried about the gasket,its kinda charred in places already i cook steaks alot but have never done a clean burn and have had it since just after the 4th of july.

Its gettin gunked up pretty good now.

I'll leave the grid out and clean it next time i cook something its got alot of remnants from my last butt left on it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Maybe I don't get that hot?? I don't think I have ever been over 650-700 F.
    I haven't had a problem thus far.
    But you make a good point!
  • Little Chef
    Missed your replies earlier...sorry bout that. The grid warped and the porcelain cracked....worthy for the trash pile only. :S But admittedly, this clean burn went nuke, with the thermo pegged into no-mans-land (on the other side...). Egg looked brand new though!! ;)
  • Little Chef
    IlRick....I still put my grid into the Egg before my cook, heat it up well, and wire brush the gunk off before the next cook. I just don't recommend it for the full clean burn, because if you get a really good "nuke stage" burn going, the grid can warp and crack. See my response above to Fidel. Still NOthing wrong with high temp cleans of the grid....I am just afraid of the long clean burns...we got skunked. Would rather someone learn from our mistake. ;)
  • llrickman
    Yeah i do high temp cooks and put the grid in to heat up and clean with the wire brush i just didnt know if i should doing the clean burn
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Little Chef
    Agreed!! And as I mentioned, IMO don't risk your grid on a full clean burn. It cost us the cost of the new grid and shipping. :S Platesetter, dirtiest side to the fire. ;) You will be amazed....the whole innards look almost new. ;) And I agree, leave the DFMT out, and off of the egg. They really to work better when they are gunked up some....