Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Storage Question

Options
Texhead
Texhead Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every time I do a low and slow, I open a new bag of charcoal to find those good big pieces. Needless to say, I now have "several" opened bags of lump littering my garage.

Anyone have any ingenious methods of charcoal storage? I suppose I could consolidate into one bag but for the fact that I usually tear bags completely open for easier big lump hunting.

Thanks
Texhead

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've got 2 big plastic tubs, I think they're 20 gallons ea. One for big pieces, on for all the rest. Between the 2, they hold about 30 pounds.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Try a large plastic rubbermaid trash can or a galvanized aluminum/steel one.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I use small sterilite tote containers
    I have 1 small one for my wood chunks and 1 small one for my "gooduns", aka large pieces of charcoal I use at the bottom of a lump pile

I also have 1 huge sterilite container for my charcoal. It holds about 1.5 20lb bags, so I empty it, open a new bag and fill the egg, then put the rest and another bag in the container. I let them sit on my deck all year long, no moisture, no problems. Just look for cracks from the plastic getting brittle and hit when you move them around.
    tim
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    On a side note, I have done lo/slo with not one piece of lump bigger than a golf ball and most about the size of a marble. The last I did 2 cooks, for a total more than 24hrs on the same load of lump. :P
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    just so you know, some of us just open the bag and drop the lump into the egg ;) i made a lump grate that has more holes for better airflow, others lifted the grate a quarter inch increasing the airflow, you really dont need to search out bigger chunks of lump imho
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep
    fukahwee maine

• fiddlesticks
    Options
    Interesting. Do you have a suggestion for how to raise the grate 1/4 inch? I have a medium.

FS
  • fishlessman
    Options
    someone probably has a pick, i believe the easiest way was to use a bolt and nut with a washer big enough to over hang the circumfrance in three places. the grate was now sitting higher on the washers
    fukahwee maine

• fiddlesticks
    Options
    Thanks - I'll give that a try.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    we have 3 5 gallon buckets we use for large, medium and small
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Me too. I have never stacked,sorted, or even thought about arranging a perfect pile of lump. Dump and light is all I do. I have done several overnight cooks with no failures. I have used a wiggle rod a time or two when the temp seemed to drop a little, but that's it.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I am from the dump the lump from the bag into the egg school. Therefore, I store my unused lump in the bag. Right now I have a 3/4 bag full stuffed in the cabinet on my gasser. ;)

My complaint with plastic storage bins is that they get brittle and crack after a few years of being outside. If you can find a galvanized steel can with a cover, you might have a nice solution.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    i just dump and go also....
    but i do like these storage units. i find they are easier to deal with and dump the lump ongoing. i use three inside the cabinet.

cd440b0e.jpg
  • Texhead
    Texhead Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas. I will be trying some this weekend.

BTW, I am ignoring all you people who just dump charcoal. I have to do something to make it look like that good food coming off the egg took some skill on my part.

Texhead
  • ckcgnfshn
    Options
    I use the dog food containers called "Vittles Vault"

http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Stackables.aspx

They are great. I can put a whole bag of Lump Coal in one and it is completely water and bug proof. I also use them for my wood chunks. I also have one for soaking my wood before smoking.

They come if a variety of sizes and shapes.