Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Butt basic question

TigerTonyTigerTony Posts: 1,005
edited 8:31PM in EggHead Forum
I should know this already, but Im having some sort of brain freeze.....:)

I'll be smoking a 7 lb pork butt tonight to serve tomorrow during teh Saints Vikings game:

How many hour per LB?

My BGE temp will be 220-250 and I'll remove the butt when it hits 200 internal temp. Right?

Thanks for answering such a basic question.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    1.5-2hrs per lb.I normally pull them at 195,then rest them(foiled in cooler)for an hour or so ;)
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 542
    Id make sure you have a 250 dome. Time is hard to say , you can figure 1.5 hrs a lb or so but i did 2 8lb butts last week and they took over 16 hrs. though my temp did drop overnight to about 210

Id take it off somewhere between 195-200 degrees then wrap tightly in foil, then in an old towel for an hour or two before you pull it
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • The general rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. That said, it is the meat that decides when it is ready.

Give your self some wiggle room. Plan on being done a few hours early. When it is ready, you can pack it in foil, wrapped in towels in a cooler for 3 hours or so. Take if from someone who had people over and ended up feeding them Papa Johns.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Did you get to see his gold flower pot? :lol: