Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt basic question

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should know this already, but Im having some sort of brain freeze.....:)

I'll be smoking a 7 lb pork butt tonight to serve tomorrow during teh Saints Vikings game:

How many hour per LB?

My BGE temp will be 220-250 and I'll remove the butt when it hits 200 internal temp. Right?

Thanks for answering such a basic question.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    1.5-2hrs per lb.I normally pull them at 195,then rest them(foiled in cooler)for an hour or so ;)
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Id make sure you have a 250 dome. Time is hard to say , you can figure 1.5 hrs a lb or so but i did 2 8lb butts last week and they took over 16 hrs. though my temp did drop overnight to about 210

Id take it off somewhere between 195-200 degrees then wrap tightly in foil, then in an old towel for an hour or two before you pull it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. That said, it is the meat that decides when it is ready.

Give your self some wiggle room. Plan on being done a few hours early. When it is ready, you can pack it in foil, wrapped in towels in a cooler for 3 hours or so. Take if from someone who had people over and ended up feeding them Papa Johns.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Did you get to see his gold flower pot? :lol: