Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spare rib question

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about cooking spare ribs for a Superbowl party. I plan to take my egg 20 miles to cook on it.

I was thinking I would precook the spare ribs at home on the day before and at some point in time take them off and store them some how and continue my cook at the remote location.

Then I will eat the ribs at the beginning of the game and start grilling chicken wings.

Any suggestions? Tim

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Cook them ribs at home, planning to have them done 2-3 hours before you need to leave. Once the ribs are done, foil'em and wrap'em like a butt and into a cooler. Then empty your coals and take fire box/ring out to cool and leave egg open to cool. Then your cool to travel. A quick warmup at the next location is all they will need if any.

Have fun. I'm doing a bunch of ribs as well and will take them to a friends. He only has a small egg. His wife says they don't need a large :whistle: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    We all know how that is! :woohoo:
  • mxdadx2
    mxdadx2 Posts: 37
    that silly wife
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I just buy'em and the kids spill the beans.

She is in Hawaii (since March) if you didn't know. Home in March :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I would cook them 90% or even completely. Then heat them up on the egg at 250. This way you don't have to guess on the timing.
    Hard enough getting stuff done at one location. No one will know the difference anyway.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    depends on how many folks you plan to feed. spares take up space in the large egg. women prefer baby backs. My hunch is for every 1 rack of spares, you could do 2 racks of baby backs, at least give the impression of more ribs.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • haha says he doesn't need a large cause they have you as a friend who brings the ribs! Actually my wife was telling me to get the XL, but I got the large. I couldn't find much talk about the difference in height btw the L and XL, but there is a difference from the grill to the top of the dome. Since there is more clearance in teh large, I thought I could cook almost as much using grill extenders. the XL only had about an 11" clearance, where the Lg had about 13.4 if I remember correctly. I would go measure now, but my brisket is in there and should be done by 6:30pm. yaaayy, new BGE yesterday and first thing cooked on it today...