Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What setup does everyone use for ABT's. The last time I cooked them on a raised grid direct in a vegy tray ( to make it easy to get on and off. Result burnt bottom's.....

So do I do them indirect with the plate setter? legs up, down? on the grate? on tin foil.... let me know what works for you......

I am going to cook them tonight for a dinner party...

Thanks in advance
John

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have had great success plate setter, legs up. On a raised grid at 400. Bacon crisps up very nice.
    Usually about 45 minutes. Check after 30.

ABTs2.jpg

Mike
  • johnrezz
    Options
    do you think it will hurt to put them in a vegitable tray?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Don't know. Might burn the bottom, or you might have to flip more than once.

Mike
  • johnrezz
    Options
    do you flip? how do you keep the cheese in?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I don't flip with the way I cook them. If you put something else under the ABT, the heat might not get the ABT.

Mike
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    have you ever tried abt's when doing ribs. wonder how the lower temp works on the bacon. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I've done this a few times. As long as you are not in a hurry for the ABTs and you do not want really crisp bacon it works okay. Of course any time I make ABTs people start eating them before they are done anyway. :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Never have Tom. When I cook my cherry wood bacon it is at 350-400 indirect. Tasty stuff.
    I cook a bacon wrapped pork loin over some ribs. The bacon was not crisp but done. You know that fat from the bacon didn't hurt the flavor of the ribs. :)
    Did I just give a comp technique away? HMMMMMMMMM?

ribsandloin.jpg

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm a little late replying but here's a couple of tips you might keep in mind for next time.

I like to use Little Smokey's in my ABT's. I learned that if I freeze them ahead of time they will keep the cream cheese from melting so quickly. By the time the bacon is done the Little Smokey's are nice a warm but your cream cheese is still inside the jalapeno.

Second, I like to toothpick the ABT in at least two places. That way I can cut them in half when done and make them into nice bite-size pieces. It has the side advantage of your guests not squrting cream cheese out on the floor when they bite into one.

Do what CWM says do and you will be okay.

Spring "ABTDEFGhIJKLMNOPQRSCUVWXYZ" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Good tips, Spring Chicken. I'll have to try those next time. (maybe tomorrow for the football games)
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Adjustable rig, top position and cook at 300 to 350. Same setup works well for stuffed nachos or stuffed tostadas (think stuffed nachos only bigger).
  • johnrezz
    Options
    well they are in at 400, plate setter legs up, No raised grid (it is frozen to the ground and I do not want to brake it, I will check at 30 min and reduce temp to finish.....

I will let you know.....

PS, got some of the raw Jalapeno juice on my lips..... still burning 20 min later :), rookie move..

J
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    try slightly precooking the bacon in the microwave, maybe 45sec to 1 min so it is still flexible but starting to get cooked....helps to crisp it up at the lower temps,