Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The "Q" grill?

Options
Smokey Bandit
Smokey Bandit Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone![p]I just recently got my first BGE (Medium) as a birthday gift. My dad (SmokingBob) has really helped me get off to a great start, and I am having a great time preparing delicous foods![p]I have a question that is somewhat off-topic and hopefully will not be offensive to anyone since we are all die-hard lump charcoal professionals. :) I would like to know if anyone ownes the Weber "Q" grill? I like to go hiking and do things outdoors, and it looks like the perfect portable gas grill. However, I want to be sure that little grill can get up to at least 450 degrees or better so that I can sear my meat. I know it isn't going to produce the flavor or tenderness that the BGE has to offer, but it looks like it could be a good compromise.[p]Please let me know![p]Thanks,[p]SmokeyBandit

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Traveling_Egg.jpg
    <p />SmokeyBandit,[p]I looked at the Q too, but settled for a small BGE. It built an egg carrier and it fits in the back of my Tahoe just fine. I don't go backpacking with it though. (grin)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey Bandit
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]That is a great setup you have there! The small egg is still a bit larger than I would like to carry with me, but I was wondering about the mini egg. Do you know if it would have enough lump capacity to smoke meat for at least 8 hours? A mini egg could be a good alternative since it only weighs 30 lbs, but I am wondering if it can smoke meat. Also, does it get up to 500 degrees for searing?[p]Thanks!
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Where's everybody?

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    SmokeyBandit,[p]I have had a mini for about a year now and love it. I just returned from a camping trip Sunday and used the Egg for practically every meal. It will easily hit 500* if you use a lighter weight lump charcoal. Don't try to use Wicked Good or Kamado coconut lump. I've used both in the mini and it took forever to get up to temp. However, both of these are wonderful for lo and slows in that medium of yours. (I too, own one) [p]I've been told that you can slow smoke in the mini but it seems too difficult for me. I use it strictly for grilling when camping but I can easily (fast) smoke chicken breasts or steaks. Someone else may chime in and tell you how to go about slow smoking on it. Mac
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    Just wondering, do you have the new slide daisy wheel top and the metal grate????? I'm in the process of re-vamping my Miss Mini. (new hinge,gasket,metal grate,SS vent and slide daisy wheel top)[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Bluegillman,[p]That's a shot of Balmorhea State Park in Texas at the foothills of the Davis Mountains. It was the day after Thanksgiving. They have a spring pool that is famous with scuba divers.[p]BTW, we have MONSTER BlueGills at Lake Travis in Texas. Ya oughta come out to the eggfest and bring your fishing rod.[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    SmokeyBandit, since it seam you have a way to keep the meats cold, you can do the smoking at home and then do the searing "on the road" with a mini. It may differ from Trex style, but...I do most of my tri-tip this way at home and they are flawless. It sort of "xerT" method