Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs. XL Question

TJP
TJP Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

I am a long-time egger and have a large, which has always suited my needs. A friend of mine went out of his way to do a very nice/generous favor for me and my family and I want buy him an egg as a "thank you." Anyway, he does not have an egg, but I know that he has always wanted one. The issue is that he has always wanted an XL under the notion that bigger is better. I don't think he would ever need all that space, but I still want to get him what he wants as this is a thank you gift and all. So, the question is, is there a downside to having an XL and does it still work just as well if you are roasting a single chicken or throwing a couple steaks on it? i.e. can it be too big relative to the amount of food being cooked? If the answer is just that you need more charcoal, then that is less of my concern. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate any feedback. This forum is a great resource!

Comments

• I got a large for Christmas and thought the bigger the better. I returned it for an XL. After using it to cook for a family of 7 I wish I kept the large. From what i see the large has more accessories. The issue i have is the dome is not as tall so when you use the extra shelf with indirect heat you dont have alot of room on the upper shelf. I personally would get the large.
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    the xl BGE does not have the dome room. Plus you will use more lump.
  • The XL and L cook the same. Have an XL and have cooked on a L lots of times - they operate the same. Unless he is planning on doing loads of huge cooks, I would think the L would satisfy his needs.
  • The incremental amount of lump is just not significant enough to be a factor when buying an Egg. I hear the "dome is different" statement but really don't understand the argument.
  • TJP
    So Frank, if my buddy really wants an XL, what I hear you are saying is that there really isn't a downside to having the XL. Is that right? Whether or not he needs the XL is a different issue.
  • The downside I can think of is:

It weighs more and therefore harder to move.

More ceramic and therefore longer to get to temp and longer to cool down for say roasting after a sear.

It has to use more lump in order to get to a certain temp but the extra lump is insignificant and shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

I have done one chicken and 6 chickens
    One rack of ribs and 12 racks of ribs, 1 butt and four butts.

If someone really wants an XL, they should get one. But a large will work for most and a large/small combo is mightfine.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    If you really want to do something nice for your friend buy him the one he wants.I have the large and XL and really like them both.If he wants the taller dome for the XL BGE is coming out with he can buy it later.
    Larry
  • Frank has said it perfectly above. I have both and echo 100% of Frank's statement above.
  • TJP
    Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like it will be an XL. Since my friend lives across the street, it will be nice to have an XL in the neighborhood. :P
  • TJP If you ever need any more really nice favors please give me a call. You reciprocate nicely. Your friend will love it and I am guessing you will too, beings how it is just across the street.
  • I have an XL and have not cooked on a Large so cannot compare but I love the XL, nothing I have not been able to do on it. I think it heats fast and comes down in temp fast after a sear to me anyway. I love the xtra room aso I do not have foods jammed together if I want to say put some corn on as my main dish is finishing up etc as I can still flip the meat and work with it as I want. It is very heavy and hard to move so I have though of getting a large or medium to complement it...
  • GoKooL
    GoKooL Posts: 32
    I've had a large for about 10 years and bought an XL last year for the reason Mississippi notes above, namely that it is easier to cook multiple foods on it at the same time. Those foods will all need to be cooked at about the same temp and method (direct or indirect), but I try to make most of my meals on the grill together and plan accordingly. The large was just too tight a fit for cooking meats and veggies for more than two people. Now I can cook a variety of meats and veggies and not have to worry about being able to fit or flip them.

I still have the large and it will probably take care of most cooks that are of a single type, but if I were to buy just one for more than two people, I'd stick with the XL. I still use the large quite a bit, particularly for the smaller or high heat cooks...but he'd have to do another big favor to get that one too.