Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

exterior mess

Options
cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any thoughts on cleaning this mess that happen when cleaned my grill
grillin017.jpg
It really seams tuff I've tried a few things that did nothing, mabe I need to get it hot again?

Comments

• Lanier Jim
    Options
    Leave it...I love the Green Zebra Look! :laugh: Seriously - mine cleans right up with just warm water and a towel. But - that might be something much different if you were doing something with the gasket.

LJ

PS - wife used a citrus cleaner before and it worked without any problems
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Spray degreasure with a scrub pad.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    AWWW LAAAWWWWDDD!Sorry Anna,I thought it appropos! :whistle:
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    WOW! I would say that gasket is TOAST! Heat the egg up, and wipe it down with a damp cloth. Use gloves of course, but you don't want to just use and OveGlove by itself, because once it gets wet it is useless. Put on some cotton gloves and cover them with vinyl gloves to keep them dry.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Try a citric acid, salt and borax mix. Some boraxo in the mix also may help.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    What method were you using "cleaning" the grill?? Please tell me you didn't try to scrub the interior?? A clean burn is all you need to do to clean the Egg...NO liquids or cleaners involved. I would try a soft sponge and warm water.... :S Next time, load it up with lump, fire it up, open it up, and walk away! ;) Four or so hours later, it looks like new. ;) A good clean burn may burnoff that junk from the outside too.... :blink:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I agree with the inside of the egg.

Chemicals are not going to hurt the glaze on the outside of the egg. I wonder if the temperature will get hot enough on the outside of the egg to 'burn off' or soften up that tar like substance. Sure would be a well worth a try though.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Gonna take some elbow grease. -RP

goop.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    assuming you did what i did and burned a lot of build up at a very high temp??? the stuff is like creosote and will not come off with soap and water.. i tried alcohol, gasoline , acetone , simple green etc.. ended up using goof off which is xylene and a scrubby... what i did not try and wish i had was oven cleaner,, i suspect that will be your best bet.. good luck and you have my sympaties took me all day.
  • cooksome
    Options
    Thanks for the input I'll try degreaser and put it back together
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    This may or may not work as I have not tried it on my Egg as it is still pretty clean outside. There is a product that is called "Bar Keepers Friend" that is kind of like AJAX cleaner and available at WalMart. It is what we use to clean the plasma torches oniunstruments at work when they become dirty. It is really the best thing to use on them and is not all that abrasive. Could do the trick. But again, no guarantees as I have not tried it. Best of luck