Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt...More Smoke, Please...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done Elder Ward's Butt recipe and have been extremely satisfied...has anyone tried to use a lot more smoke than he recommends to penetrate further into the meat? If so, how did you do it? Does it impart a bitter taste if oversmoked?[p]I like the hickory flavor and want more of it but don't want to ruin a long cook...Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Options
    Dr. Ryan,[p]I was wondering the same thing myself and will be experimenting this weekend, I will post results Monday. [p]Like you, I have been more than satisfied with the results from low-n-slows on the egg but don't quite get as much smoke flavor as I would like. I really noticed it a couple of weeks ago when I cooked some butts in a BBQ comp on a different smoker (non-ceramic). Everything seemed to be on par with the egg just a much smokier flavor. I know this was due to adding fresh wood and coal every 3-4 hours or so to help maintain temp but it also helped to impart a nice mellow smokey flavor, not bitter at all.[p]Later [p]Blaze
  • Roy Fraser
    Options
    Dr. Ryan,
    I can not vouch for this as I heard someone else say it. The majority of the smoke flavor is done during the first 2 hours of the cook, after that time the meat does not absorb much smoke. I do a lot of butts and I really throw the wood to them when I put them on. I use the big chunks and I will put 3 or 4 on fresh from the bag along with a couple others that are soaked in water so they will last longer. I have a very good smoke flavor when I do mine. You may want to try this and see if it helps. Good luck Pigtail

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Pigtail,
    I had this explained to me...[p]The SMOKE RING is what stops after a cuppla hours, when the meat it is penetrating hits a certain temp (140?).[p]But the smoke isdeposited on the meat as long as the meat is in smoke.[p]the longer the smoke is on the thing, the smokier it'll be.[p]but the smoke ring doesn't get any more developed by sitting in smoke for the duration of the cook.[p]i hope that's right, at least, that's how twas explained to me when i asked a similar question

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Please let me know your findings, Dr. Ryan.[p]"one can walk from Greenland to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet, so can we dispense with the bull?!"
  • WildBore
    WildBore Posts: 7
    Options
    Dr. Ryan,
    I haven't cooked a Butt yet. On many other types of meat, my procedure has been to hide dry chunks mixed in with the larger lump, and start some lump in a chimney starter. When the lump in the chimney is all fully burning, pour it out onto the lump base, then pour some fresh lump on top of the burn layer, and finaly; cover the top layer of fresh lump with a thick layer of chips. Yes, chips not chunks. You have to move quickly from this point to get platesetter ( if you use one ), grill and meat on before you are asphyxiated by all the smoke, and to keep the chips from flaring. Your egg will look like an industrial revolution steel mill for the next 20 minutes to an hour as the chips smoulder and burn, the lump hidden in the lower layers gets burned as the fire reaches it, so you get smoke later in the cook. Your food will come out with a shiny black rind on it, and smokey deep into the meat.
    Good luck,
    Bruce