Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't get ribs right!!

CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried ribs several times. Baby back that is.

Indirect. 225 for 5hrs. Drip pan with apple juice. Spray ever 30mins with apple juice. Increase temp last 30mins and apply bbq sauce.

Result? It's almost like the outside becomes dry and chewy and the inside is moist and soft. I can almost pull the outside off and get to the inside. Basically they suck.

Isn't there a way to do ribs without injecting butts, 3-1-1 or whatever. I'm just an average joe that wants to make some eatable ribs!!

Any suggestions for a rather simple rib methodology that will let a novice cook some good ribs?

Thanks!
CAEggFan

Comments

• Are you wrapping them in foil half way through the cook?
  • Do you have a plate setter or other heat barrier?

I also would ask are you wrapping the ribs after 3 hours?

And as Celtic Wolf would say "If you're looking, you aren't cooking."
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• I'm not. Is that critical? Do I just pull off ribs and wrap in metal foil and put back on?

If so that would be easy enough!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    225 for 5 hours is to low of a temp for that long. Straight apple juice has to much sugar content and will burn them.

Isn't there a way to do ribs without injecting butts, 3-1-1 or whatever.

That statement is very confusing.

The next time you cook ribs, e-mail me. I spend the amount of time required to make sure they turn out.

Mike

Just my opinions.
  • I bought the ceramic plate setter for indirect.
  • Man you guys are sooo helpful!

OK, this sunday. Last day of NFL (superbowl doesn't count). I'm going to do it.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Take Mike's advice. All will be fixed.
  • I've had my egg for 1 month and tried ribs last Sunday. They turned out excellent. Here is what i did and it was very simple: 250-275 for entire cook and added apple chips, remove membrane, light coating of yellow mustard on meat side, rub on both sides, sit in fridge for 2 hrs, indirect w/ drip pan and ribs on V rack, 3 hrs uncovered (don't peak), 2 hrs in foil w/ little apple juice in foil, 15 minutes w/ sauce on each side and done. I was for sure I'd screw them up and I've never made ribs before, ever! They were great!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Seems like you are doing everything right. However, you might want to try foiling them after you sauce. I also marinade mine in apple juice the night before... then apply rub 1 hour before start of cook.
  • Okay, good that you have a thermal mass between your ribs and the lump.

I concur with Carwash Mike that apple juice is just going to burn. Wrapping with foil and putting apple juice in before wrapping will retain moisture.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• gsgentry
    gsgentry Posts: 128
    For my first post on these boards, I will use it to offer some help!!

For Baby Back Ribs, this is what I do...

1) Pull Membrane from back of Ribs
    2) Place Rub of your choice and then return to the fridge for 1 hour
    3) Get temp up to 225
    4) Place ribs on for 2 hours uncovered
    5) Now wrap in foil for 1 hour
    6) Finally remove from foil (be caredul of the hot juice in it) and place back uncovered for 1 more hour
    7) If you want BBQ Sauce on it, add during the last 30 minutes
    8) ENJOY!!

This is known as the 2-1-1 Method.

I do spray with apple juice once is a while just to add a little extra moisture.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    What? No stump technique! :lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • LOL! I don't even know what that is!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    The "stump technique" takes years of practice :lol: I wouldn't even try to explain how to do that to a newbie :P
  • I have used this recipe on an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman water smoker)and it turns real good. I haven't done them on the BGE yet (just got delivered Monday)but I will be doing some real soon. Here is a link.
    http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-ribs.html

If it isn't cool to give other web sites links please let me know.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    gsgentry,

The 3-1-1 method is quite common here. 225 is a fairly low temperature for an egg. There is a difference in "dome temp" and grid temp which is fairly considerable, more or less 10% at 250*. I don't usually foil babybacks but go 250* til the meat pulls back. Usually about 5-6 hours. Welcome BTW ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Ahhh! The Sparky machine was using an innovated
    techique of using a hollowed out stump with a grid!
    :woohoo: :ermm:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap